cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 12 Broke ROG Phone 3

Aerevyr
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS ROG Phone 3 (Strix version I believe)
Firmware Version: Version WW-31.0210.0210.230
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Persistent (no variation)
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone App
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
After Updating to latest Firmware Version the Phone app immediately "Call Ended" upon dialing a number, with the exception of emergency services (911) takes about 30 seconds but begins to ring.
Incoming Calls go straight to voicemail.
VoLTE option is not found in settings except in the "STATUS BAR ICON MANAGER" section where I can choose to have it display in the status bar (it doesn't display)
I have :
- Restarted the Phone
- Shutdown and Turned back on the Phone
- Enabled, waited up to 30 minutes, and Disabled Airplane mode multiple times (dozen+)
- Factory Reset the phone
- Installed Alternate launchers
- Gone through support with my Carrier (no issues on their end the SIM and everything works perfectly fine in non-ASUS-Android 12 phones)
47 REPLIES 47

timothytse1
Star I
Aerevyr

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ASUS ROG Phone 3 (Strix version I believe)
  2. Firmware Version: Version WW-31.0210.0210.230
  3. Rooted or not: Not Rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Persistent (no variation)
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone App

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

After Updating to latest Firmware Version the Phone app immediately "Call Ended" upon dialing a number, with the exception of emergency services (911) takes about 30 seconds but begins to ring.

Incoming Calls go straight to voicemail.

VoLTE option is not found in settings except in the "STATUS BAR ICON MANAGER" section where I can choose to have it display in the status bar (it doesn't display)

I have :

• - Restarted the Phone
  • - Shutdown and Turned back on the Phone
  • - Enabled, waited up to 30 minutes, and Disabled Airplane mode multiple times (dozen+)
  • - Factory Reset the phone
  • - Installed Alternate launchers
  • - Gone through support with my Carrier (no issues on their end the SIM and everything works perfectly fine in non-ASUS-Android 12 phones)

Android 12 Broke ROG Phone 3
Same problem here. Very disappointed.
Asus way advertising new ROG phone 6.

timothytse1
Star I
I am having the same problem.
I went to Asus web site for support, selected live chat. Turn out an automatic respond to my question saying I did not pick the right question.
What an useless live chat.

Nasp
Star I
Alright so i have a clear guide set up for you guys on how to downgrade to Android 11 from 12 with the rog phone 3. you will need to download one of either of these update packages from asus rog phone site
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ZenFone/ZS661KS/UL-ASUS_I003_1-ASUS-99.0410.2203.201-1.1.5-user.z...
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ZenFone/ZS661KS/UL-ASUS_I003_1-CN-99.0410.2203.201-1.1.5-user.zip
the reason why i say one or the other is one of these, once you install it under the main internal storage folder of the phone will trigger a notification that a system update file has been detected. if one does not work try the other one because it is for different SKUs. once this is done you will see the notification that there is a pending software update. unfortunately, it will remove all your data once you initiate this process. but once the software update downgrades to android 11, disable the auto system update. if you do not do this it will begin to download and install the android 12 update which means you will have to do this again. this has solved the issue for me i hope this helps other people who have issues until asus decides to fix their mess up.
image.png

Macro
Star I
Going to expand on the last post with more info based on my experience.
Prerequisites:
1. BACKUP your data. You will lose all of your data when performing a rollback.
2. You have to download the correct Firmware associated with where you got your phone. Not doing so will result in your phone not recognizing the update file. To help with that, I am going to put links to where the main links are as well as the direct links below.

Steps taken:
1. Download correct version Android 12 to Android 11 from https://www.asus.com/supportonly/ROG%20Phone%203%20(ZS661KS)/HelpDesk_BIOS/. Click Show all to see all available Firmware.
Alternative direct download for WW/EU/RU/TW/IN SKU: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ZenFone/ZS661KS/UL-ASUS_I003_1-ASUS-99.0410.2203.201-1.1.5-user.z...
Alternative direct download for CN SKU only:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ZenFone/ZS661KS/UL-ASUS_I003_1-CN-99.0410.2203.201-1.1.5-user.zip

2. Move the file from the PC to the internal storage folder of your android phone.

3. Restart your phone.

4. Wait about 5 minutes. You should get prompted in the notification bar about a system update file being detected
WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT FILE FOR YOUR PHONE, YOU WILL NOT GET PROMPTED. Lesson learned after Asus told me to download the 3.09GB CN version instead of the 2.76GB WW version.

5. Do not setup wifi while going through the initial phone setup (this is to stop the automatic system update to Android 12).

6. After the setup, go immediately to System updates within your settings and turn off Automatically download and install, and auto-update overnight. If you accidently went ahead and activated your wifi, make sure you pause the update before it installs. Otherwise, the phone will more than likely update the next time your phone restarts and you'll have to do all this over again.

My personal experience is that the phone was able to start send/receive phone calls again without any issues after reverting back to Android 11. Hopefully ASUS will fix this issue with a future Android 12 update.

legendhilife
Star II
Well said Marco great post. I did exactly this as well. Now Rog3 works as it once did with A11.