Star I
System:
Battery or AC:
Model: PN 50
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Is it possible to install unix-like system on this mini PC in the near future via BIOS-update ? I think it is very unwise to disable it nowadays !
33 REPLIES 33

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Jan,
Thank you for the information.
I have reported them.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Dear all,
We had tried Ubuntu 19.10 on PN50, and it is working.
For other version, we are sorry that we can not guarantee the compatibility and performance.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
If you encounter any installation error when installing Ubuntu 19.10, please kindly share the error message screenshot with me.
Thank you very much.

Jan-Niklas
Star II
Blake_ASUS

Dear all,

We had tried Ubuntu 19.10 on PN50, and it is working.

For other version, we are sorry that we can not guarantee the compatibility and performance.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you encounter any installation error when installing Ubuntu 19.10, please kindly share the error message screenshot with me.

Thank you very much.

View post
Thanks for your investigation.
Is there any info about why Ubuntu is able to run and other big distros like Debian (especially important for server applications) aren't, so one can give the developers of for example Debian a hint, what to change, to support your hardware?

Jan-Niklas
Star II
So, after a weekend of reading, testing and frustration I finally managed to get Debian running!

You have to install the Bullseye (dev-builds) release which one can get here: http://cdimage[dot]debian[dot]org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/weekly-builds/multi-arch/iso-cd/
Using this img and burn it to a usb-device (I used ddrescue under Linux Mint) and run the setup process, the whole thing should work.
For the video-drivers you have to run this command:
# apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics libgl1-mesa-dri libglx-mesa0 mesa-vulkan-drivers xserver-xorg-video-all
and then reboot, and everything should work properly