This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working internet, broken LAN

ludasco
Star I

I have A pair of ASUS ZenWiFi XT9 AX7800, and an RP-AX56. In the context of accessing the internet, everything is working perfectly. It doesn't matter what AIMesh node you're connected to, everything is great.The LAN is broken.

• I have a windows media server that I often RDP into and use as a Plex server. The media server is connected directly to the primary AIMesh node via ethernet.
  • If a device is connected to the LAN via ethernet, it can NOT connect to the media server at all. All connections time out. It doesn't matter which node it's physically hardwired to.
  • If a device is on WIFI, it can't connect to the media server UNLESS the wifi connection is to the primary node.
  • So the LAN only works if every device is connected to the primary node via WIFI, except the Media Server which is connected via ethernet.
  • From the Asus portal, I can ping two PCs on the network using their private IP
  • those PCs can not communicate with each other
  • In the Asus router, there are no firewalls or filters enabled as far as I can tell.
  • It worked last night, and I have made no changes since then

Any ideas what could be wrong, or how to track down what could be wrong? 
4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Zen Master I

I can only guess/speculate that with Windows you need to enable UPnP on the ASUS router and device discovery on the Windows machines.  I'm afraid I have zero experience with PLEX servers.

ludasco
Star I

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond. I would say this is not a Windows issue or a PLEX issue. This is an issue with basic internal networking, managed by Asus routers.

As mentioned, even ping doesn't work over the private network unless certain conditions are met. It's also new behavior, as everything worked as expected until 2 days ago. 

Again, thanks. 

I'm sorry to read this is happening.  There was a firmware update 9/23 version 3.0.0.4.388_24668.  Could it be this auto updated and is causing the new issue?  Have you tried/Maybe try reverting to the prior version 3.0.0.4.388_24609?/.

Possibly. That would make sense, to be honest. I opened a case with Asus, but haven't heard back. If this continues much longer, I may try to revert. Thanks for the advice.