This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix B550-A Gaming - freezing issue

Hello All,

I have an issue with my computer and I can't really figure out the issue and I was hoping some might of encounter this before and read about it that can help me. 

I am using the Rog Strix B550-A Gaming motherboard, I been using some gskills ram for 3 years and and one day it freezes when during post. I am able to get into bios but after the screen where it say press del to get into bios it will start loading before it gets into windows load screen, between that it freezes.

I thought it was ram issue since I try a different set of rams that a friend  took out of a workstation and it works. I went to check the QVL list to see what rams are compatible and purchase it. Receive the new ones today and it is giving me the same issue. The ram I used for 3 years and the ones I bought has DOCP option but the ones my friend gave me from the workstation doesn't.

Old Rams I was using for 3 years:  
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-64GVK
Link:  https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374066?Item=N82E16820374066

New Rams I bought from Amazon:
TEAMGROUP T-Force XTREEM ARGB 3600MHz CL18 64GB (2x32GB) PC4-28800 Dual Channel DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Ram (Blue) - TF10D464G3600HC18JDC01
Link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091CY7Z44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Rams that were given to me from a friend that currently works
Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133P-UB1-11 // M378A1G43EB1-CPB

Since this B550-A board only allow you to use DIMM Slot B2 and A2 as primary, if B2 and A2 are not utilized B1 and A1 will not work. To test if all 4 slots work, I combine the gskills and the teamgroup memory and the bios see both sets. 

I was running on bios from 2023, so I decide to update it to the newest 2024 version 3607 x64 build date 3/18/24. I still run into the freezing issue. 

I loaded bios default, I removed cmos (i set clocking to manual instead of docp and leave it at DDR4-3600 and it stopped posting).  Some people say its windows issue but doesn't explain why the samsung ram will boot. Just because the samsung ram can boot, i can't say its windows or motherboard issue. I left my DOCP option memory running at auto and still freezes. 

I am running out of ideas. Any information is appreciated. Thank you all that  reads through my wall of text, even if you don't know the answer and not respond, thank you anyways for taking the time reading it. Hope there is a solution. 

1 REPLY 1

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello @nyctroubleshoot 

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing in detail.
May I ask which CPU you currently have installed and if there have been any software or hardware changes since the POST freeze issue occurred?
Based on your description of the freeze during the Windows loading process, there may be a possibility of a system drive issue.
Therefore, we recommend cross-testing with another system drive.
If needed, please try a bare-board test:
Install only the CPU on the motherboard without the chassis, use onboard graphics for video output, install single RAM stick into the DIMM_B2 slot, and confirm if the system can power on and enter the BIOS without freezing.
While troubleshooting the issue, please ensure to clear CMOS and boot without making any manual BIOS adjustments, including avoiding any CPU or memory overclocking.
Regarding RAM, DOCP loads the preset overclock file and DRAM timing from the memory SPD chip to quickly overclock to a stable frequency, so there might be differences with the RAM you have installed.

Thank you.