This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q Codes

Olly2196
Star I

To put it simply got a new machine, second hand motherboard and RAM, when my machine is on windows desktop Screen it shows Q code of 30 but flickers randomly to 29 air 32 or 33 and so, and my machine is very slow compared to the specs it has I’d have thought it’d be a lot quicker.

also when I load up my pc everytime it says pc fan error and loads me into bios it says something along the lines of, ‘cpu fan deterxtiln error’ then goes onto say ensure it’s connected to ‘CPUfan header’ and but it is definitely on there?

ALSO sorry for how long this turned out to be as it sends me to bios everytime I load up and I have to click to manually boot my drive with windows on when I’m in bios there is a Q code A9 

just wondering with all this information what is going wrong and how to fix the speed of my machine, the bios warning and an explanation on the Q codes

thank you

specs are 

Maximus hero

I9 12900K

no GPU plugged in for now was told thatd fix this

4 REPLIES 4

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @Olly2196 
Could you please confirm whether you are using the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO or ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO and provide the current BIOS version?

Regarding the "CPU fan detection error" message at startup, we recommend visiting the MB model's official website > Support > Manual & Document, selecting the user manual, and verifying that the CPU fan is correctly connected to the corresponding header on your motherboard.
For Intel platform motherboards showing Q-Code "A9" during startup, please refer to the [Motherboard] Common Q-CODE (Error CODE) and Troubleshooting steps.

Thank you.

Hello @Jiaszzz_ASUS 

i have the Z790 board

and I’ve 100% checked the pin is in the correct fan slot on the motherboard I’ve even tried it in each of them such as the AIO port, the thing is the fans spin but the cpu doesn’t recognize it’s being cooled

And for the last part it shows A9 in bios but I’ve tried updating bios and using that clear button or whatever the reset on my board to get it back to default

And for the final problem I have a display when in bios and I’ve tried unplugging and replugging in my HDD with windows installed to no avail

Hello @Olly2196 ,

Since the relevant FAQ is currently under maintenance, we recommend waiting 24 hours before checking the page again: [Motherboard] Common Q-CODE (Error CODE) and Troubleshooting.
According to the guideline, a Q-code of "A9" indicates "Others abnormal - Boot into the BIOS." Please refer to the following excerpt to attempt troubleshooting:

Troubleshootings for Boot into the BIOS

If CODE is A9, it means the computer has entered into BIOS

1. If the monitor is abnormal, please follow below steps to troubleshoot:
a.  Please make sure monitor is powered on normally and check the indicator light of monitor is on to ensure the power cable of the monitor is connected correctly. Make sure the external power cable is powered on normally. Please try to switch on, switch off, check if monitor can display. If you switch off and switch on the monitor, monitor shows ''no signal'', it indicates the monitor is powered on normally.
b. Confirm that the signal cable(VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort) is correctly connected to the monitor, also confirm that the other end of the signal cable is connected to the display output (graphics card) of the computer. Try to re-plug the two sides of the display cable and confirm that all pins are not bent.
c. Confirm that the display output of the monitor is correct. For example, if it currently connected to the computer via HDMI interface , you should choose the display output of the monitor as HDMI display output.
d. Replace the same kind of cable (VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort) to re-test
e. Connect the monitor to another computer, confirm output of the monitor is normal to eliminate monitor problem

2. If the monitor can display BIOS, please follow Troubleshootings for Boot up device abnormal, comfirm if the hard disk or SSD is abnormal

Based on your description, we suggest checking the user manual to ensure all hardware is properly installed and considering cross-testing with another CPU cooler or fan to isolate potential hardware issues.
If needed, try a bare-board test: in an insulating environment, remove the chassis and install only the CPU on the motherboard, use integrated graphics for output, install a single RAM module in the DIMM_A2 slot, and connect the PSU to check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Any update?