cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

Gosia
Star II
I confirm I have the latest system version. For a while, there were no reboots but yesterday and last night I had 3 within 12ish hours. One was at around 6-8 PM German time whilst using Chrome app (it first froze for 5+ seconds and then switched off) and then two more at night when charging, not sure about the first occurrence but the second one was between 7 and 8 AM.
I use a bunch of battery optimisations (adaptive battery, planned energy saving, stable charging up to 90% capacity, planned charging, I use dynamic system mode) - sorry if the translations are not ideal but all the features I'm referring to are within battery system settings

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I'm the original poster who found this issue almost 2 months ago 😔, I have been investigating, testing (almost donated the phone to science), talking to people that also own a ZF9 and reading your comments here.
The short update is that there is no update I can report at the moment!☹️
However, I was thinking, that we could try to find out what we all have in common and then possibly help the developers or Asus to identify what is wrong themselves(?).
I think this might be related to a HW component associated to the SIM cards in some phones, it could be the case that it can somehow be fixed with software but the truth is that nobody seems to know or what is known hasn't been released to the public.

Why do I think it has to do with the SIM card component?
Because of the following reasons:
* the issue is not happening to everyone (@jeremy6652 @paweldejko ) - Rationale: if it is happening to everyone this forum would be flooded with messages or Asus themselves would have a solution by now.
* it doesn't happen when the phone has "airplane mode" enabled and WIFI enabled, this disables the SIM card but leaves WIFI and BLUETOOTH ON. (Screenshot attached) - Rationale: suspicious component disabled = no problem seen!
* as per the comments here, it happens regardless of having android 13 beta (@Jack81 ) or having android 12 (@De Funes ) - Rationale: people using android 13 and android 12 have reported the same issue

I would like to ask for help to identify if there is a pattern and see if this is limited to a certain model (I think not!) or a certain country or a certain batch or whether the issue we are describing here is exactly the same for all of us?
So far it seems the same issue for everyone EXCEPT what @Gosia has reported. It seems to be an outlier compared to what we see, it would be interesting to get a screenshot from the battery usage to see if we can spot the infamous "gaps". She mentioned that the issue was happening while the phone is in use. So far, I haven't experienced the issue while the phone is in use.
In short, my questions to those having this issue (in case you can afford using airplane mode for more than 24 hours):
1) does this happen to you when keeping the phone in airplane mode? (leaving wifi enabled but data DISABLED and the SIM card disabled)
2) has it ever happened while the phone was being used? (to check if Gosia is not alone here)
3) have you bought the phone online and have it delivered to a country in Europe? (so far I haven't seen this issue reported by owners in the US/Canada/Asia, it seems to be reported in Czech Republic, Germany, UK, from what I read here)

This is what I have collected so far from this discussion (it is a table but no idea how it is going to appear!):
USER BOUGHT PHONE IN ANDROID VERSION RANDOM RESTART
b.preslavski 12 YES
martinparker28 12 YES
rewix 12 YES
deeepsync2 12 YES
Hodor 12 YES
Ditko 12 YES
jeremy6652 12 NO
paweldejko 12 NO
Gosia DE 12 WHEN IN USE!
Zenfone9user 12 YES
Dranivil 12 YES
Jack81 13 YES
tdoure 12 YES
frafa RETURNED THE PHONE! 12 YES
boilermaker 12 YES
De Funes CZ 12 YES
HelpingHand UK 12 YES

Number of owners: 17
Number of owners having the random restart issue: 15
Number of owners not having the issue: 2

Screenshot showing that the phone can go beyond 24 hours as long as it is in airplane mode with the SIM card disabled:
uptime80hours.jpg

frafa
Star III
From Italy
The problem connected to the SIM.... Uhm
I remember some years ago a reboot problem solved buying a new SIM (in that case the SIM was really old).
Now... My nano SIM is just 1 year old.
But it could be something to explore.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
frafa

From Italy

The problem connected to the SIM.... Uhm

I remember some years ago a reboot problem solved buying a new SIM (in that case the SIM was really old).

Now... My nano SIM is just 1 year old.

But it could be something to explore.

View post
Thanks for the update, did you buy it online or in a shop?

I tried different SIM cards from 3 different operators in the UK. One of those was bought just some months ago and the problem persisted. I think it is more related to the actual phone in that case.

@frafa How is it going so far with the restarts and the new ZenFone 9 phone you bought?

frafa
Star III
HelpingHand

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/236278#Comment_236278

Thanks for the update, did you buy it online or in a shop?

I tried different SIM cards from 3 different operators in the UK. One of those was bought just some months ago and the problem persisted. I think it is more related to the actual phone in that case.

@frafa How is it going so far with the restarts and the new ZenFone 9 phone you bought?

View post
I bought the 1st phone on official Asus e-shop.
The 2nd will arrive tomorrow, I bought it at Unieuro online