Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POWER MANAGEMENT IC FAILURE

venkateswaran32
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG PHONE II
========================================
I'm facing shutdown issue due to power management IC failure and it happened year after i purchased my mobile.
On monitoring Thermal zone 65 (pm8150l_tz which is one of the power management IC) the temperature is 20-30 degree Celsius higher [~65 degrees] on normal usage and on charging and heavy usage it goes above 80 degrees. On reaching Temperature above 95-100 degrees it shuts down the device.
Other thermal zones temperatures are just below 50 degrees at the same time.

I recently fount that these power management ICs are available for well below 500 rupees. Just need to know if Asus Service centers can Replace the ICs for low cost instead of Changing the whole motherboard for 25k.

It is financially not feasible for many users to change whole motherboard for that high price. I know quite some people who resides in India have shutdown issues when playing games or charging. If there is any service centers which replace the power management IC's it would be helpful for us. Even if it means sending our device to service center for a month
7 REPLIES 7

venkateswaran32
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/199883#Comment_199883

The readings are 100% accurate. The power IC does reach 100c and degrades, it's a known issue.

Also replacing the IC with a new one is the only "fix". If you want an actual permanent fix, you'd need to start thinking of ways of cooling the chip down.

View post
I have ways to cool the ic by reducing the clock speed of power hungry 855+ and reduce the performance using my custom app. But when A10 released it kept the overall system warm, by running the cpu at max speeds. This Combined with my higher ambient temperature resulted in power IC failure.
Just needed to know if asus repairs power IC.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
venkateswaran321

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/200471#Comment_200471

I have ways to cool the ic by reducing the clock speed of power hungry 855+ and reduce the performance using my custom app. But when A10 released it kept the overall system warm, by running the cpu at max speeds. This Combined with my higher ambient temperature resulted in power IC failure.

Just needed to know if asus repairs power IC.

View post
Lowering clockspeeds won't do much, as most powerdraw is from the display itself.
As for if ASUS repairs it, the answer is, we don't know. Keep in mind that ASUS has no service center that is owned by them, they hire 3rd party service centers to work for them, hence the quality of repair will wildly differ.

venkateswaran32
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/200568#Comment_200568

Lowering clockspeeds won't do much, as most powerdraw is from the display itself.

As for if ASUS repairs it, the answer is, we don't know. Keep in mind that ASUS has no service center that is owned by them, they hire 3rd party service centers to work for them, hence the quality of repair will wildly differ.

View post
Lowering the clocks makes difference when using apps like gcam. It keeps the device from shutting down.
Yeah Asus service is poor. I did a free service when I had muffled bottom speaker and power button was not tactile(when my device was under warranty). All they did was open my device and reapply adhesive and close the device.

I particularly told them to replace the speakers. But they didn't do anything but vaccuum the ports and told me it is working alright when it is not. Still my top speaker sounds way louder than bottom one. If I close the top speaker, the sound is reduced to 20%. Also my power button completely lost its tactility and now is sitting flush with frame.