Phone shut down at 20% battery charge

nsanedown
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5 Ultimate
Firmware Version:18.0840.2109.176
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Two times thus far
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Might be related to the latest firmware?
So last week my phone shut down all of a sudden when it still had 20% battery charge in it.
Upon pressing the power button it did not sprung back to life but did recover once i placed the charger in, indicating that my battery was at 0% which was odd since it was at 20% a few seconds prior.
I've been using the battery care features, with ultra steady and 80% charge limit selected after the first initial 100% charge.
Just now it happened again, where once at 20% the phone simply shut down and indicated that I had 0% charge left in it.
I have attached a screenshot that shows the dip, and am going to charge it to 100% and see if that improves things but wanted to ask if anyone else bumped into this issue and happens to have a solution.
Unless this is related to the current firmware and the upcoming one will take care of the issue.
========================================
battery-consumption.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

nsanedown
Star III
Updated #2:
After playing some games it now seems to go down normally and managed to reach 3% with the low battery pop-up showing up then finally shutting down after it went under 1%.
It's now charged at 100% but will keep it like that for one more hour in order to see if it then goes down properly before setting the charge limit back to 80%.
The situation seems to have been resolved.

k_huat
Rising Star II
nsanedown

Updated #2:

After playing some games it now seems to go down normally and managed to reach 3% with the low battery pop-up showing up then finally shutting down after it went under 1%.

It's now charged at 100% but will keep it like that for one more hour in order to see if it then goes down properly before setting the charge limit back to 80%.

The situation seems to have been resolved.

View post
Good to hear that it works for u 👍
But mine have the same issue repeating again once every two to three weeks. I have been recalibrating the battery for third time already since I bought this phone for 11weeks. Not sure the latest firmware.188 helping?
As suggested by funbike: not to use the original charger (20V) might burn the phone, I take the advice n use QC 2 charger now.
No app can accurately tell the capacity of battery; if you have 5600+mAh for capacity shown in electron then it should be ok since another user n mine have the same reading (but mine reduce to 5400+mAh after third time calibration) Hope this helpful for your reference

nsanedown
Star III
k_huat

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/193771#Comment_193771

Good to hear that it works for u 👍

But mine have the same issue repeating again once every two to three weeks. I have been recalibrating the battery for third time already since I bought this phone for 11weeks. Not sure the latest firmware.188 helping?

As suggested by funbike: not to use the original charger (20V) might burn the phone, I take the advice n use QC 2 charger now.

No app can accurately tell the capacity of battery; if you have 5600+mAh for capacity shown in electron then it should be ok since another user n mine have the same reading (but mine reduce to 5400+mAh after third time calibration) Hope this helpful for your reference

View post
I see, thanks for the heads up. Regarding the battery capacity thingy, I installed Aida64 since that app contains a boatload of useful information and sure enough the battery is sitting at around 5600, which imo is ok as I don't really think it's 6000 to begin with due to the"reported by android" line.
I think it's just like with HDD space,where it's never the reported number cause the system is using it for something else.
screenshot-20211110-154716891.jpg