Android 11 Update For ROG 2.

venkatarahul98
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog Phone 2
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): OS updates.
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
its been already a year since android 11 release. Now android 12 beta has started.
you people keep saying under evaluation but for how long? till support period is over and then you say 'sorry support ended'?. for how long shoud we wait? All other phones get 2 major OS updates even budget and midrange phones.We paid a premium for ROG 2 and there is no update at all. No volte for major carriers like Vi. No black crush fix nothing. Asus 6z and ROG 2 released same year, Asus 6z got android 11 long back which was a surprise. Then moved on to zenfone 7 and ROG 3. How can you skip Rog 2? it has to be ROG 2 after 6z right? and ROG 2 is even costlier then Asus 6z at the time of launch. If you do like this surely majority of the ASUS customers will move to another brand next time.Thats for sure. Because you guys doing like this even i changed my mind to move to another brand. Tell us whether ROG 2 users will get ANDROID 11 or not.. tell it soon so that we will decide whether to sell the phone and move to another brand.

13 REPLIES 13

mustafayolgiden
Rising Star I
There won’t be an Android 11 update for ROG 2. ROG 5 is the only reason Asus doesn’t announce it. They don’t want to hurt ROG 5’s reputation as they charge nearly 1000 USD for these phones and nobody wants to buy a 1000 USD phone with only 1 major Android update support. That’s why Asus keeping silent about ROG 2 Android 11 update. They’ll announce it maybe end of this year. That’s how Asus works. They are sneaky.

Vamp
Zen Master I
mustafayolgiden

There won’t be an Android 11 update for ROG 2. ROG 5 is the only reason Asus doesn’t announce it. They don’t want to hurt ROG 5’s reputation as they charge nearly 1000 USD for these phones and nobody wants to buy a 1000 USD phone with only 1 major Android update support. That’s why Asus keeping silent about ROG 2 Android 11 update. They’ll announce it maybe end of this year. That’s how Asus works. They are sneaky.

View post
"Asus" works by saying stuff like "Android 11 is under evaluation but no ETA" so whenever your device crosses 2 year from the day of release, no more updates policy applies no more android 11 and it will be announced in some random thread that "device is out of update policy so it won't be updating further".
Not by secretly releasing android 11, 4 months past it's 2 year "old" age

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
I am pretty sure they have their hands full right now with the Rog3 A11 version and the 2 messes of a phones which are Rog5 and Zf8 right now. They literally cannot start another project right now, I wouldn't expect an answer before the Rog3 A11 stable release.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Android 11 for Rog 2 is a tricky question right now to be honest
1. Asus doesn't have a set policy for Rog phones the only benchmark you have is Rog 1 but considering it as an first gen product can't really say anything based on that device's support period
Rog 1 got 1 android os version (Oreo to Pie) it was supposed to forever stay on Oreo at one point tho (many tech websites covered that) but somehow got pie but pretty late then Asus pushed a new zen ui version (zen ui 6) it's pie update was based on Zen ui 5
Security updates wise it got them from 2018 to last one being somewhere around May-June in 2020 (so 2yrs)
Fast forward to Rog 2 so far they haven't said anything about Rog phone support cycle and R2 A11 but patches/bug fixes have been on with one being around every 2 or 2 1/2 months
The following are plausible:
1. It does get A11 beta right after Rog 3 gets android 11 stable
2. R2 only gets newer Zen ui 7 version as R1
3. Only security patches from this point onwards
And comparing with other gaming phones for better or worse Rog fares much better
For example red magic 3/s (2019 launched alongside R2) got it's last update in June 2020 (just a patch as seen on their firmware website) meanwhile Rog 2's latest one being in May 2021
So yeah it's all wait and watch at this point