Rog 5 List Of Bugs/Issues

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: WW-18.0840.2103.26
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Regularly
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Android system, Android OS Etc
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
So it has been almost 1 month since the last update. Many issues have been reported & hopefully the Devs have kept an eye on the threads from multiple users. Just to summarise the issues which are affecting Rog 5 users:
1. Battery drain either through Android OS, Android System, Mobile Network standby or all 3 simultaneously.
2. Excessive Heat from the device even with normal usage. This can definitely be linked to the battery draining apps mentioned above so perhaps if those apps are fixed so will the heating issue.
3. 5G & Volte not working for many users. This seems to be happening predominantly in the UK. Upon checking XDA forums, it's apparent that Volte does work in India, Asia & on some networks in America. However, volte does not work at all on any network in the UK. Same goes for 5g, haven't seen any luck in the UK myself even by trying different carriers and yes I've been in 5g hotspots. However, users in Indian, Asia and America seem to have 5g running perfectly.
4. Standby battery drain due to Android OS, Android System & Mobile network signal or all 3 simultaneously. This again is linked to the first point stated above.
5. Charging issue. Even with slow charging active, the phone still charge very fast as if hyper charge is on. The battery icon displays the hyper charge symbol so it's definitely a software bug.
6. Screen refresh rate. Although the phone doesn't come with a 90hz option, it would be massively appreciated if this could be added (should be possible). This option of 90hz will no doubt be a boost for battery life aswel as phone temps. Also many users have requested this. It's definitely the sweet spot & perfectly balanced.
7. Call issues. I along with other users have noticed an issue when on a call. Voice goes in and out, person on other end says they can't hear us for a brief period and voice goes in and out. Same when phone is on loudspeaker.
8. Ghost touch. This happens mainly when on Ultra Durable mode or with 60hz active. Self explanatory.
If these issues could be addressed that would be good. If I have missed anything or there's a fix for any of the aforementioned issues, please add your own .
90 REPLIES 90

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ghyzriellgalez06

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/171191#Comment_171191

Bro, regarding the microphone issue in screen recording. When ingame mic is on, such as codm and pubg, the microphone input in screen recording will not capture your voice in screen record, but the in game mic, it works just fine.

But when you turn off the in game mic, yhe microphone input on screen recording will capture your voice just fine.

Is this a software issue?

Also, the clockspeed fluctuations. Having an average 1.56 Ghz even with xmode plus. Is this a software issue that can be fixed with an update.

View post
I cannot say much about the unstable clockspeeds as I am not sure what ASUS has done with the new update. I havent looked to much into the Rog5's source code. I know about the performance issues, but what is causing them that I cannot tell for sure, only make guesses. I do know that the phone also throttles when utilizing the GPU to the max as well, which was demonstrated perfecly on techutopicas emulation video.
As for the microphone it should absolutely be a software issue. I'm not sure what exacly is going on there, but I know that since A10 multiple apps should be able to use the microphone at the same time. I would say it's best to let @Anders_ASUS know about it if he didnt already forward it to the devs already.

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/171198#Comment_171198

I cannot say much about the unstable clockspeeds as I am not sure what ASUS has done with the new update. I havent looked to much into the Rog5's source code. I know about the performance issues, but what is causing them that I cannot tell for sure, only make guesses. I do know that the phone also throttles when utilizing the GPU to the max as well, which was demonstrated perfecly on techutopicas emulation video.

As for the microphone it should absolutely be a software issue. I'm not sure what exacly is going on there, but I know that since A10 multiple apps should be able to use the microphone at the same time. I would say it's best to let @Anders_ASUS know about it if he didnt already forward it to the devs already.

View post
Thank you for the information bro.
Gustav already sent me a PM with instructions how to create logs and screen recording recreating the fps drops and stuttering issues. I also send them a screen recording with logs for the microphone screen recording issue.
I hope he was able to escalate it with the devs and the devs are now working to resolve these issues. I hope the next update will fix this, and the update will be soon. Thanks bro.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ghyzriellgalez06

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/171208#Comment_171208

Thank you for the information bro.

Gustav already sent me a PM with instructions how to create logs and screen recording recreating the fps drops and stuttering issues. I also send them a screen recording with logs for the microphone screen recording issue.

I hope he was able to escalate it with the devs and the devs are now working to resolve these issues. I hope the next update will fix this, and the update will be soon. Thanks bro.

View post
As for performance issues, it's hard to say if it will ever be fixed, given the huge uproar on the SD 888 in general. The microphone glitch will more than likely be fixed, I'm very certain about that one.

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/171222#Comment_171222

As for performance issues, it's hard to say if it will ever be fixed, given the huge uproar on the SD 888 in general. The microphone glitch will more than likely be fixed, I'm very certain about that one.

View post
I think ive read one of the comments stating that this is only happening to rog 5 and not the other SD 888. Still, I am hoping this is a software issue that they can fix and fix will be made on the next update. I have high hopes for this phone. I belive they will do it,it just the 2nd end of the 2nd quarter of the year, which they have a lot of window of opportunities to resolve this to increase their still. I hope.😅

ChillyRide
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

@Danishblunt Please, no insults or you will get warned

@ghyzriellgalez06 you just need to be patient about your issue. We've already collected your log and looking into it.

@ChillyRide I've already asked all the questions you're asking long before the product was finished and the simplified answer to all of them is that it's not possible. Technical limitations. So it has nothing to do with us forgetting to put some extra lines of codes to enable 32bit/384Khz output. Btw music files with this format is really hard to come by and it might have something to do with what Danishblunt said. There's no point. Even if we didn't down sample to 24bit/192kHz (which we need to do), you wouldn't be able to hear the difference. As for the music player. Why would we make a music app when there are so many good ones out there? And FYI it's possible to play local music files with the pre-installed YT Music app even if it's not great at it.

View post
Well, thats not true! Dac in RP5 capable 32bit + float/384. It can be activated manually and outputed, logs show its playing 32pcm and pcm_float with no problems. The problem is non of players cant path through it in AUTO bitperfect mode. Only manuall selecting 32 or float when playing such hi-res files. Also it upscale 16 bit files to 24 in both players, uapp and neutron and downscale 32 to 24. Sounds like hard locked to 24bit. All settings done correctly. Technically no limits, limitations in code but in which one? System, audio players code or both? Contacting both players support to guide where is the problem.