This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

jerquait
Star III
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163798#Comment_163798

Why dont you test it yourself? I already wasted too much time for it. This is Asus job, not mine. Im customer and I can choose to buy or not. Im not a developer to making my own phone. If phone is bad, I just dont buy it.

Sorry for my anger, but I'm not a guy who will "sink" with already "sinking" phone.

What about photos? I will give you just one example.

img-20210422-090627.jpg

This is the same photo made with Mi 10T, displayed on both devices. Above photo was taken with S7. Left phone is Mi 10T, right ROG 5. In this photo you can see that left side is dull, right is more purple. In real, left side was more purple and very realistic, right was very dull.

So what happened here? S7 processed colors incorrectly. Added lacked colors to ROG 5 which "didnt exist". The same was with Batman scene. You see orange banding on ROG, but that orange didnt exist, S7 just added lacking colors, and ROG is missing Red. This is as Simple as that.

So I cant agree that testing with taking photos is better "because it reveals things that eye doesnt see”. Human eye is the best testing device, because displays are made for eyes, not for cameras.

I just refunded my ROG 5. If something does not meet my expectations, I just dont keep it. This is simple solution and there is no sense to fight with that, at least for me. I can live without ROG, and I can say to Asus: "try better next time".

Good luck.

View post
Very well said by you.. danish you always say that Rog 3 display is very good high quality but it doesn't matter the display is good or bad..being a customer we see the end result.. we are not developers that we will calibrate the display ourselves.. therefore if the end product is bad then it's simply of cheap quality..
My Rog 3 display is very very bad... I spend 50k Indian rupees for that device and a device of 15k can outperform my device in display quality.. so for the phone that is so expensive it is not acceptable..

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163798#Comment_163798

Why dont you test it yourself? I already wasted too much time for it. This is Asus job, not mine. Im customer and I can choose to buy or not. Im not a developer to making my own phone. If phone is bad, I just dont buy it.

Sorry for my anger, but I'm not a guy who will "sink" with already "sinking" phone.

What about photos? I will give you just one example.

img-20210422-090627.jpg

This is the same photo made with Mi 10T, displayed on both devices. Above photo was taken with S7. Left phone is Mi 10T, right ROG 5. In this photo you can see that left side is dull, right is more purple. In real, left side was more purple and very realistic, right was very dull.

So what happened here? S7 processed colors incorrectly. Added lacked colors to ROG 5 which "didnt exist". The same was with Batman scene. You see orange banding on ROG, but that orange didnt exist, S7 just added lacking colors, and ROG is missing Red. This is as Simple as that.

So I cant agree that testing with taking photos is better "because it reveals things that eye doesnt see”. Human eye is the best testing device, because displays are made for eyes, not for cameras.

I just refunded my ROG 5. If something does not meet my expectations, I just dont keep it. This is simple solution and there is no sense to fight with that, at least for me. I can live without ROG, and I can say to Asus: "try better next time".

Good luck.

View post
If you already showed the comparison then they should be online no? You keep dodging me.
Also you don't really seem to understand how cameras work, the reason why 1 seems dull while the other doesn't is simply because of how the displays work. LCD have a backlight layer which always will wash out the screen more than OLED's on cameras because the light source is stronger. The color reproduction isn't my focus, so it's not even an argument. Also all the thing you claim never existed, did exist, they however have been drawn out more through the camera, if you were to look really hard you'll notice that these things did indeed exist, however were very unnoticable.
Your eye argument is not very good. Humans always use tools to measure things and not just their eyes. You won't ever find a professional that will not use tools and eye ball things, because the human eye is deceptive.
Your choice of returning the rog5 is absolutely fine. I found issue with the device as well, hence I don't have it either. I have looked at it, found it wanting in several areas and didn't bother anymore with it. I just wanted to get a better picture of the display state, as when I looked at it it had crushed blacks.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
jerquait

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163858#Comment_163858

Very well said by you.. danish you always say that Rog 3 display is very good high quality but it doesn't matter the display is good or bad..being a customer we see the end result.. we are not developers that we will calibrate the display ourselves.. therefore if the end product is bad then it's simply of cheap quality..

My Rog 3 display is very very bad... I spend 50k Indian rupees for that device and a device of 15k can outperform my device in display quality.. so for the phone that is so expensive it is not acceptable..

View post
You can cry as much as you want but the display is high quality wheter your like it or not. Just because the display is misused doesnt mean it's cheap quality. It's very important that you understand that the display is high quality but looks bad thanks to a bad calibration. If you asked me to recommend a phone I would never recommend a rog phone product, because so far: the rog1 suffers from massive support issues, rog2 PM8150 chip dying, Rog3 display calibration bad, Rog5 durability problems, display issues, thermal throttling even with cooler on.
If ASUS does a proper calibration then the rog3 is the only rog phone I would safely be able to recommend, but until then the display is mishandled badly and the phone isnt recomendable because the color banding is actually quite bad.
Why is this important? Well because this means that it can be fixed. A cheap panel causing issues cannot be fixed, a good mishandled panel however can.

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

If you already showed the comparison then they should be online no? You keep dodging me.

Also you don't really seem to understand how cameras work, the reason why 1 seems dull while the other doesn't is simply because of how the displays work. LCD have a backlight layer which always will wash out the screen more than OLED's on cameras because the light source is stronger. The color reproduction isn't my focus, so it's not even an argument. Also all the thing you claim never existed, did exist, they however have been drawn out more through the camera, if you were to look really hard you'll notice that these things did indeed exist, however were very unnoticable.

Your eye argument is not very good. Humans always use tools to measure things and not just their eyes. You won't ever find a professional that will not use tools and eye ball things, because the human eye is deceptive.

Your choice of returning the rog5 is absolutely fine. I found issue with the device as well, hence I don't have it either. I have looked at it, found it wanting in several areas and didn't bother anymore with it. I just wanted to get a better picture of the display state, as when I looked at it it had crushed blacks.

View post
I dont dodge you. I never said that I made any comparison online. I had 2 weeks for return after purchase to test ROG 5 as much as I could. I made test for myself and I spend a lot of time for it. I do not make reviews or comparisons online. Dont have time for that. I just came here to ask for green tint which is the only one reason for refund.
I didnt even talk about Mi 10T "display wash out", which is not the focus here. I just showed you Mi 10T to make you know how it looks like on ROG 5. Why are you attacking me so hard suggesting that I have no knowledge? I just pointed that there is no sense to make any comparison for colors with camera and S7 is boosting colors on ROG 5, which is far away from reality. You can keep saying that "it reveals existing hidden colors", this is your opinion, but it will lead you nowhere. That has even no sense to think that there was hidden orange in dark (orange banding in Batman scene), when ROG 5 is lacking orange so much.
Yes, humans eye is not perfect and every eye is different. You dont see colors like me and I dont see colors like others. So everyone should test display for himself and do not using online reviews which are mostly useless.
You say that professionals use tools to calibrate displays. I just thinked about it some time ago. Why displays are not calibrated well and why we have so much green tint or red tint in many devices? Are they not calibrating displays? No. They just dont have proper calibrating tools. When I can see such a defect with my naked eye, why calibration tool failing so much? Your reference to the "perfect tools" is very mistaken.
I believe that you are very experienced in displays but sometimes such people doesnt see the simplest solutions. Very often new people, with little knowledge, have better and fresher view on some problems. You cant be so stubborn.
After spending a lot of time with Mi 10T and ROG 5, I can say that ROG has very good display and it could outperform Mi 10T easly, if display calibrated corretly.
Referring to dodging... You didnt answer me if you see Black crush on my photos and where it is and how it looks like. You said only about banding. I still didnt find Black crush in ROG 5 as you describing.

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
jerquait

View post
Yes the display is really high quality but you point is 100% right , as i also agree with you , one thing i say lets just wait for A11 as mods have said they passed this to devs , if after A11 issue persist than you guys have every right to take the stand and even i will be with you guys but just wait till A11 and it will be around month or so and as current beta are pretty much stable so lets just wait few weeks and if they dont fix it , we will take stand