This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
here is a showcase of what I mean with black crush on rog5:
img-20210317-112449-304.jpg

Top Rog5, bottom Mi10 ultra.
as you can see the blue curtain just dissapeared, it's gone. The blacks crushed details and the picture.

MV
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163598#Comment_163598

Some private kernel devs back when it was new that I discovered a fix tried to get into my github account because they thought i had a private repo with the sourcecode, people have been spamming me to send sourcecode even tho I have clearly stated that I'd need to retrieve my data and asked them to wait a couple of days, which they responded with threats and insults, then got a bunch calling me scammer and some other borderline mental accusations like me selling kirisakura kernel as my own etc, after that fiasco I decided to go private because I have no intention of helping people who threat others like that, not to mention i have the suspicion that some probably tried to take the sorucecode and start selling rog3s with ridioclous descriptions like "rog3 with proper screen". Not to mention i got banned for literally deciding to go private, which demonstrates that there is literally no reason whatsoever to publish any sourcecode to a toxic community like that. I'm quite sure you won't have any difficulties understanding the route I took, same as many retired devs left the xda community for the very same reason and as why projects like viper4android also went private due to toxicity and shady misuse of the sourcecode.

View post
It is the same with XDA all the time. Have seen many devs leaving XDA in last decade due to some or other differences. But in the end it's your private repo, it's your choice and I respect that.

uvukee
Star III
I checked black crush in completly dark room, watching dark scenes in YouTube, even on the lowest brightness and didnt notice anything wrong. I will check it again, but like I say, my biggest problem are uncalibrated colors.

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

here is a showcase of what I mean with black crush on rog5:

img-20210317-112449-304.jpg

Top Rog5, bottom Mi10 ultra.

as you can see the blue curtain just dissapeared, it's gone. The blacks crushed details and the picture.

View post
I got the point, thank you. I will check it better when Im home.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163611#Comment_163611

It is the same with XDA all the time. Have seen many devs leaving XDA in last decade due to some or other differences. But in the end it's your private repo, it's your choice and I respect that.

View post
Doesnt mean users don't get it, so far i gave it to everyone who asked (on other platforms than zentalk, before you get the idea of spamming my inbox), so it shouldnt affect the users, only devs.