This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think of upgrading to Rog5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Honestly there are so many weird topics here surrounding the Rog5 being superior and people acting like it's some next evolution.
Guys let me clear some things up for you:
The screen is the same.
the speaker are basicially the same,.
the batterilife is worse on the Rog5 due to higher TDP from the SoC.
The LED on the back, while on paper nice, is something you won't even look at.
No storage upgrade, still capped at 512GB.
Phone will throttle if used over time without aero cooler.
Camera the same.
Audio quality hasn't been improved noticably at all on headphones, for some reason people first now got the memo that the Rog Phones in general have a high quality built in dac.

Overall if you already have a Rog3, there is literally no compelling reason for you to purchase the Rog5, if you have an older Rog phone 1 then you can easily consider it, but upgrading from Rog3 is just silly, even Rog2 I'd still call it a stretch to call it an "upgrade". So please don't be swayed by random reviewers acting like it's some next evolutionary thing.
48 REPLIES 48

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
hank_email_is

@Danishblunt just to let you know the display on rog 3 and before is from a Chinese vendor called tianma display, it's mentioned in asian media, not sure why English speaking reviewers don't mention it.

At least from zenphone 7 I can tell the display color is much better than rog 3 that I owned.

I do think the screen itself is a big upgrade

View post
As mentioned, I already talked with some sellers and numbers match with the Rog5 and such that it is a samsung display. However, it seems the Rog2 was supplied with a tienma screen. Maybe the ifnormation you got was an assumption because the Rog2 had it.

As you can see on this screenshot of the Rog2, it has no DC dimming as well.

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
Not sure who is your reseller, but I confirmed with taiwan asus headquarter store, the clerk said rog 3 is not samsung screen. It make sense or else asus would advertise on their website .
I even visualize the rog 5, compared to rog 3. The black is darker, and bright pop more in hdr. Also the rog 5 screen can reach darker brightness, which helps when view in dark room. Couldn't see any tint at the darkest brightness, but the room itself wasn't totally dark so can't tell.
p-20210314-030203.jpg
p-20210314-030211.jpg
p-20210314-030453.jpg
p-20210314-032807.jpg
Left is rog 3, it is grayish in dark area, where rog 5 has true black.
Not sure why, but in person the screen wasn't so blue.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
hank_email_is

Not sure who is your reseller, but I confirmed with taiwan asus headquarter store, the clerk said rog 3 is not samsung screen. It make sense or else asus would advertise on their website .

I even visualize the rog 5, compared to rog 3. The black is darker, and bright pop more in hdr. Also the rog 5 screen can reach darker brightness, which helps when view in dark room. Couldn't see any tint at the darkest brightness, but the room itself wasn't totally dark so can't tell.

p-20210314-030203.jpg

p-20210314-030211.jpg

p-20210314-030453.jpg

p-20210314-032807.jpg

Left is rog 3, it is grayish in dark area, where rog 5 has true black.

Not sure why, but in person the screen wasn't so blue.

View post
This is the crappy overlay "fix" ASUS is trying to make work. Disable it and you get true blacks and picture looks great, however due to the fked up gamma you will have black crush in dark scenes. Once you compare them without the crappy overlay you'll see they are extremely similair, only difference is that dark is even darker on the rog3 thanks to messed up gamma.

I do want to thank you tho, its clear that the rog5 has black crush thanks to your picture. The wheel backwheel on that truck is completely gone thanks to the blacks that crushed it.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I

At this point I can't help but feel management should start communicating with their devs before making bold statements like Rog5 has no black crush.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
img-20210317-112449-304.jpg
img-20210317-112449-292.jpg
img-20210317-112449-609.jpg
img-20210317-112449-422.jpg
Some comparisons I found on an telegram channel
Rog 5 vs MI 10 ultra
(the one one the top is rog 5)
No idea about the set brightness levels or the color profile on both phones
Rog probably can boost colors more like the MI in splendid
Is it me or ROG has better details? MI's colors look boosted and "smoothened"