cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Crush explained ( Rog3 / OP 8 )

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
youtube.com/watch?v=8EoRnfA1cK0
Here is an explanation as to why black crush is happening and how Asus can fix it. It also explains how this is NOT a hardware defect even with an example.
I hope this will clearify a great deal and that you guys need to stop spreading weird nonsense like its caused by high refreshrate screens, hardware defect or that asus cheaped out on displays. Just chill a little bit and let asus fix it, and Asus you need to stop the hotfixes, it's seriously doing more damage than good.
Hope to see much less black crush topics as it's really getting old by now.
82 REPLIES 82

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
skailash2001

I can understand that black crush is a software issue. But do you notice the grain in the display increasing with refresh rate @nightmaster552 . Any idea on why it is like that? Since this is the first time I've seen something like this on a phone, it feels weird.

View post
Can you make a screenshot of that grain?

skailash2001
Rising Star I
I already made a discussion on that. Just search grainy

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
skailash2001

I already made a discussion on that. Just search grainy

View post
This is basicially again caused by shifting gamma levels. This is however common knowledge, by having higher refreshrate the colors tend to get a little more washed out. This is common even on monitors and it doesnt matter if its TN, IPS or OLED:
overclock.net/threads/when-set-to-144hz-my-monitors-color-changes-but-the-settings-are-exactly-the-same.1530058/
I think people start getting the picture now, fixing this issue isn't just a simple fix, it takes time and testing with multiple color profiles on brightness and refreshrate as well.

skailash2001
Rising Star I
Yes I understand what you say. Every display looks different on every refresh rate. But on this display I can particularly spot the graininess more compared to other high refresh rate displays I have at home ( OP8pro, 144hz laptop). Are you able to notice the high graininess on your device?
Anyway, I am sure they are working on the fix.
Also thanks for your clarification @nightmaster552 .

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
skailash2001

Yes I understand what you say. Every display looks different on every refresh rate. But on this display I can particularly spot the graininess more compared to other high refresh rate displays I have at home ( OP8pro, 144hz laptop). Are you able to notice the high graininess on your device?

Anyway, I am sure they are working on the fix.

Also thanks for your clarification @nightmaster552 .

View post
Its more than likely due to the calibration pixelworks has done on the rog3 screen. If you calibrate a screen it will display more accurate colors and such, however if the gammacurve shifts you will get exacly these effects pixalation and graininess.
As for if I can see it, yes if I put the screen on 144hz i can also see the graininess, however I do run my phone at 90hz nonstop due to not noticing a huge difference between 144hz and 90hz and having better battery life.
Let us wait for a fix and enjoy our phones then.