This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has been your experience with the ROG 2?

nationkid
Rising Star II
I want to start back to when I first heard about ASUS doing gaming phones and why I got one. But to hear your thoughts too, because I've seen alot of posts gone from excitement and enjoyability to out right hate or disgust.

I was lucky to visit Japan back in August 2019 and during my travels I came across a gentleman who had the ROG 1 phone, it took my attention from the lighting back and made me wonder what the spec and everything was. My old phone being a sony xperia xz premiun I decided to look into the ASUS brand. That's when I saw the ROG 2, its big huge spec and battery and its slightly useless but nice fan I decided this phone would be a good phone to last me years, if not a good 8 years if I was lucky. So... I waited for release in the UK which was roughly two months later and I got one from ASUS UK store. It arrived next day and I was super happy with the upgrade.
I then have been on here now for the past 6 months. Mostly to keep an eye on updates and bits for game genie. Sometimes looking at issues to see what was going on. That's when I started to see issues with motherboards, battery issues and red tint, black crush. After which my battery began to feel like a 3000Mah rather than a near 6000 (5800 rated) battery, I actually charge my sony phone the same amount as my ROG phone and do the exact same stuff, so it really ticked me off as it feels the same.

We then had the delay in android 10 and having months without a secruity patch or update, then seeing how ROG 1 had to wait ages for android 9 and then after which told the phones basically done with, I felt abit put off.

I then saw a jerry rig video, were he breaks down the phone and seeing how the vent/ cooling was basically a crap con and the phone mostly cooling out of the screen, made me feel more buyers remorse. The ROG 3 actually has a heatsink with a useful vent btw.

Overral I like the idea, and I think the specs are nice but there is either a serious need to fund software dev more and boost the team or ROG 3 was rushed out to replace the issues we are getting in ROG 2. I honestly dont know what the future is for this phone but I just hope that if and when we get android 11 that the devs can then focus on features, fixes and overall improvements. Heck that bypass charging that the ROG 3 just got is right up my street and I would love that so much. especially how im such a battery care geek.

To sum up, I regret buying the ROG 2, I had tried to see if Asus do a replacement service for the ROG 3 and pay the dif but they sadly don't. Will I buy again from ASUS? Mobile wise, no. PC stuff, most likely.

I don't personally blame the devs, heck they have had a virus shutting down normal processes but I just wish the company listened and at least cared for past phones which aint even a year old.

Curious to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences.

18 REPLIES 18

aljay
Star III
I regret buying the ROG 2 too.

nationkid
Rising Star II
aljay

I regret buying the ROG 2 too.

View post
How come? Thoughts, trying to see what people are like on the ROG 2.

Not applicable
nationkid

I want to start back to when I first heard about ASUS doing gaming phones and why I got one. But to hear your thoughts too, because I've seen alot of posts gone from excitement and enjoyability to out right hate or disgust.

I was lucky to visit Japan back in August 2019 and during my travels I came across a gentleman who had the ROG 1 phone, it took my attention from the lighting back and made me wonder what the spec and everything was. My old phone being a sony xperia xz premiun I decided to look into the ASUS brand. That's when I saw the ROG 2, its big huge spec and battery and its slightly useless but nice fan I decided this phone would be a good phone to last me years, if not a good 8 years if I was lucky. So... I waited for release in the UK which was roughly two months later and I got one from ASUS UK store. It arrived next day and I was super happy with the upgrade.

I then have been on here now for the past 6 months. Mostly to keep an eye on updates and bits for game genie. Sometimes looking at issues to see what was going on. That's when I started to see issues with motherboards, battery issues and red tint, black crush. After which my battery began to feel like a 3000Mah rather than a near 6000 (5800 rated) battery, I actually charge my sony phone the same amount as my ROG phone and do the exact same stuff, so it really ticked me off as it feels the same.

We then had the delay in android 10 and having months without a secruity patch or update, then seeing how ROG 1 had to wait ages for android 9 and then after which told the phones basically done with, I felt abit put off.

I then saw a jerry rig video, were he breaks down the phone and seeing how the vent/ cooling was basically a crap con and the phone mostly cooling out of the screen, made me feel more buyers remorse. The ROG 3 actually has a heatsink with a useful vent btw.

Overral I like the idea, and I think the specs are nice but there is either a serious need to fund software dev more and boost the team or ROG 3 was rushed out to replace the issues we are getting in ROG 2. I honestly dont know what the future is for this phone but I just hope that if and when we get android 11 that the devs can then focus on features, fixes and overall improvements. Heck that bypass charging that the ROG 3 just got is right up my street and I would love that so much. especially how im such a battery care geek.

To sum up, I regret buying the ROG 2, I had tried to see if Asus do a replacement service for the ROG 3 and pay the dif but they sadly don't. Will I buy again from ASUS? Mobile wise, no. PC stuff, most likely.

I don't personally blame the devs, heck they have had a virus shutting down normal processes but I just wish the company listened and at least cared for past phones which aint even a year old.

Curious to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences.

What has been your experience with the ROG 2?
S H I T T Y EXPERIENCE IS ALL I WANT TO SAY.

aljay
Star III
nationkid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116140#Comment_116140

How come? Thoughts, trying to see what people are like on the ROG 2.

View post
They suck on software updates and optimization on os side.