Help please with poor wifi on Zenfone 3 zoom.

dougbrownyyzdougbrownyyz Level 1
edited September 30 in Others

Hi all, hoping someone can help. We have two Zenfone 3 Zooms and one of them has very poor wifi. The other phone is fine

The signal strength at top of screen shows great signal strength but anything that uses the internet is very slow or times out. I reset the phone and reloaded software - same problem. Cellular data is fine.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated

Android version 8.0.0

Thank you

Comments

• Check if your data saver is ON also follow below steps

Check wifi behaves same in safe mode

To enter safe mode :-

Hold power key few seconds>tap & hold on switch off option for few seconds>phone will entre safe mode

After checking if wifi behaves same in safe mode

To exit safe mode just restart device

Also follow below steps :-

Settings>system>reset options>reset wifi,mobile&bluetooth option

than restart your device

see if this helps

thankyou😊

• thank you amitguard3. I tried Safe mode and gave the same issue. I also did a network reset i. the OD and still have the same problem

• Hi dougbrownyyz

I noticed that you did the Factory Reset and Safe Mode already. Do these two device have the same firmware version?

Your current firmware version: Settings>System>About Phone>Software information

If they both have the same firmware version, had performed the Factory Reset, yet only one device encounters poor Wi-Fi issue, you can check SMMI test : Calculator> type ".12345+=">SMMI TEST>Single Test>Wi-Fi Test

If any of the SMMI tests fails, high possibility of having the hardware issue, kindly bring your device to the nearest ASUS repair center for device checking: https://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

If it is impossible to access the service center during Covid-19 period, please try Call us: https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs

• dougbrownyyzdougbrownyyz Level 1
    edited August 22

see update below - works in Safemode, what do I do now?

• Well, I ran diagnostics per instructions above and gave the same problem....BUT....then I ran Safemode again and my wifi speed is normal. When I go out of Safemode wifi is unbearable slow again.

Where do I go from here?

Thank you all

• Hi dougbrownyyz

If the function works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps.

If you can not find the disturbance of 3rd party apps, please try "the Factory Reset" 

Settings>System>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)

Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.

This discussion has been closed.