imbackatyouimbackatyou Level 2
edited October 2020 in ROG Phone 3

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ASUS ROG PHONE 3
  2. Firmware Version: CN 17.0823.2007.32
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I tried toggling the refresh rates but it still on 60hz. As you can see, I set my refresh rate on 144hz. I tried to restart and reset the phone still no luck.

Edit: I found the culprit. When I have my brightness low it seem to lock at 60hz. What ever refresh rate I set it on (90hz, 120hz or 144hz) But when I adjust my brightness higher (40% atleast) it seems to fix the bug. But for someone like me who's not used to high brightness. This is a real problem.

I HAVE POSTED VERY DETAILED ISSUE/BUG HERE. I HOPE ASUS TAKE AN ACTION FROM THIS.

Low brightness

High brightness (120hz)

Comments

• Just wanted you to know I am not having any such issue with my ROG 3 when checked with the chrome browser in any of the brightness levels. But I do have issue with the air triggers and have posted in this forum. Please if possible check and let me know if you are facing such issue too.

• @kangkan I don't really have those issues. I don't why bugs has to be on some people. Because on xda, someone has the same issue as mine. And I knew someone personally has the refresh rate bug as well. Its weird.

• I have a similar issue. I tried toggling to all the refresh rates after seeing your post. Mine works fine for 60 , 90 and 120 hz. Even if I put 144 hz it still get locked on 120 hz

Also auto is locking refresh rate to 90Hz

• Yeah. When I tried to toggle it to 144hz its still locked on 120hz even on the high brightness. This is a serious bug. I hope they will fix this issue ASAP.

• GhostReconGhostRecon Level 2
    edited August 2020

One of the key spec advantage is 144 hz refresh rate. It's not working atleast in my device

Update: have to confirm this is a browser limitation .

• My refresh rate too doesn't go above 120Hz but I thought it's because chrome doesn't support above 120hz. So didn't mention.

• Aryan202Aryan202 Level 5
    edited August 2020

I think that's an browser limitation

Plus is that website accurate?

• I know that you are not addressing to me directly. In fact, its not the case. I tried another website to test the refresh rate.

Low brightness:

High brightness:

• I don't know why mods didn't try to discuss what going on here. I hope they saw this post and make a move for it.

• 1. Model Name: ASUS ROG PHONE 3

2. Firmware Version: WW 17.0823.2007.32

3. Rooted or not: Not

I'm also facing the exact issue. I've set the refresh rate to highest, but at lower brightness, the device caps the refresh at 60Hz. And also, at higher refresh rates, Chrome browser is showing maximum refresh rate at 120Hz whereas "screeninfo" app shows 144Hz.

• HomerSpHomerSp Level 1
    edited August 2020

Glad to see I'm not alone with this problem, at first I had no idea what caused it - it seemed to be pretty random. But now that I know what it is, it's very easy to reproduce; Just set the refresh rate to 120 or 144hz, go to testufo.com, pull down the notification bar and lower the brightness and the top one should drop down to 60hz. Raise it again and it should increase to 120hz (I don't think chrome on android actually supports 144hz, if you're using that).

I contacted asus support about it, but their "solution" was to send it in for repair, which I'm not really wanting to do until they can confirm it's a hardware issue.

• I don't think it's a hardware issue. This has to do with the software only. Perhaps some battery management setting is causing the phone to switch to lowest refresh rate at lower brightness.

• This happens on Pixel 4 too. Its software issue. On my Nubia 5G, I can even use 144hz at 0% brightness.

• I wish someone from the ASUS team would reply so we know that it's at least being looked into.

I've done some debugging myself, and for me it drops down to 60hz when I set the brightness to 20% or below.

Looking through the logs, I can see this when it triggers:

I SDM    : HWCDisplay::SetActiveConfig: Active configuration changed to: 3

3 refers to 60Hz (0 is 144hz, 1 is 120hz and 2 is 90hz). So I'm guessing something in the software triggers it, but I have yet to find out what.

• Ok, all I can say for now is that we are looking at it

• Thank you/Tack, hopefully it's something that can be solved with a future software update!

• Yes! Please do it, I'm also facing the same problem: refresh rate is stuck at 60 while the phone's brightness is low.

• Could this be done on purpose? That is the screen would look bad at 144hz in low brightness hence they set it to 60hz always?

This discussion has been closed.