cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

SeaCity
Rising Star I
Tale problema lo riscontro anche io, dal 17/10/2022 ho avuto 9 riavvii spontanei random. Utilizzato sempre in dual SIM.
All'inizio ho eseguito tutti gli aggiornamenti senza inserire alcuna mia Gmail e poi ho fatto un reset ai dati di fabbrica, pertanto lo smartphone era come nuovo all'inizio del mio utilizzo.
È avvenuto in svariate condizioni, una volta sola durante la ricarica notturna le altre 8 volte quando lo Zenfone 9 era a basso utilizzo (non era sottoposto ad alcun stress di lavoro). Una volta è capitato durante una telefonata.
Alcuni riavvii, in 2 occasioni, sono avvenuti nello stesso giorno.
Alcuni riavvii si sono verificati mentre usavo lo smartphone, avviene un freeze del display di 2 secondi poi lo smartphone si spegne per 5 secondi e si riavvia chiedendo il PIN delle 2 SIM.
Oggi molte persone non usano i PIN di sicurezza delle SIM, pertanto, in tali casi lo smartphone si riavvia automaticamente senza dare alcuna notifica.
Quindi il problema potrebbe essere più diffuso di quanto sia in realtà.
Ritengo che in questi casi la cosa migliore sia la sostituzione del device da parte di Asus con un altro nuovo, così che sia Asus stessa a verificare il motivo dei riavvii spontanei.
Saluti.

SeaCity
Rising Star I
Mattias_ASUS

Hello!

We are right now looking into the issues, could you all please confirm if you are on firmware WW-32.2050.2050.29?

View post
Sí, confermo anche io.

Dranivil
Star III
Asus, we need to know what to do. We have been dealing with this problem for several months without knowing if it is a software or hardware error. I do not know if I will be able to process the guarantee and time passes. I think it's a problem that affects too many users to take so long without being solved and without finding a source.

SeaCity
Rising Star I
HelpingHand

Hi all,

I'm the original poster who found this issue almost 2 months ago 😔, I have been investigating, testing (almost donated the phone to science), talking to people that also own a ZF9 and reading your comments here.

The short update is that there is no update I can report at the moment!☹️

However, I was thinking, that we could try to find out what we all have in common and then possibly help the developers or Asus to identify what is wrong themselves(?).

I think this might be related to a HW component associated to the SIM cards in some phones, it could be the case that it can somehow be fixed with software but the truth is that nobody seems to know or what is known hasn't been released to the public.

Why do I think it has to do with the SIM card component?

Because of the following reasons:

• * the issue is not happening to everyone (@jeremy6652 @paweldejko ) - Rationale: if it is happening to everyone this forum would be flooded with messages or Asus themselves would have a solution by now.
  • * it doesn't happen when the phone has "airplane mode" enabled and WIFI enabled, this disables the SIM card but leaves WIFI and BLUETOOTH ON. (Screenshot attached) - Rationale: suspicious component disabled = no problem seen!
  • * as per the comments here, it happens regardless of having android 13 beta (@Jack81 ) or having android 12 (@De Funes ) - Rationale: people using android 13 and android 12 have reported the same issue

I would like to ask for help to identify if there is a pattern and see if this is limited to a certain model (I think not!) or a certain country or a certain batch or whether the issue we are describing here is exactly the same for all of us?

So far it seems the same issue for everyone EXCEPT what @Gosia has reported. It seems to be an outlier compared to what we see, it would be interesting to get a screenshot from the battery usage to see if we can spot the infamous "gaps". She mentioned that the issue was happening while the phone is in use. So far, I haven't experienced the issue while the phone is in use.

In short, my questions to those having this issue (in case you can afford using airplane mode for more than 24 hours):

1) does this happen to you when keeping the phone in airplane mode? (leaving wifi enabled but data DISABLED and the SIM card disabled)

2) has it ever happened while the phone was being used? (to check if Gosia is not alone here)

3) have you bought the phone online and have it delivered to a country in Europe? (so far I haven't seen this issue reported by owners in the US/Canada/Asia, it seems to be reported in Czech Republic, Germany, UK, from what I read here)

This is what I have collected so far from this discussion (it is a table but no idea how it is going to appear!):

USER BOUGHT PHONE IN ANDROID VERSION RANDOM RESTART

b.preslavski 12 YES

martinparker28 12 YES

rewix 12 YES

deeepsync2 12 YES

Hodor 12 YES

Ditko 12 YES

jeremy6652 12 NO

paweldejko 12 NO

Gosia DE 12 WHEN IN USE!

Zenfone9user 12 YES

Dranivil 12 YES

Jack81 13 YES

tdoure 12 YES

frafa RETURNED THE PHONE! 12 YES

boilermaker 12 YES

De Funes CZ 12 YES

HelpingHand UK 12 YES

Number of owners: 17

Number of owners having the random restart issue: 15

Number of owners not having the issue: 2

Screenshot showing that the phone can go beyond 24 hours as long as it is in airplane mode with the SIM card disabled:

uptime80hours.jpg

View post
Rispondo in MAIUSCOLO alle tue domande.
1) ti succede quando tieni il telefono in modalità aereo? (lasciando wifi abilitato ma dati DISABILITATI e SIM disabilitata)
NON HO PROVATO
2) è mai successo mentre si usava il telefono? (per verificare se Gosia non è solo qui)
SÍ, MI È SUCCESSO 8 VOLTE MENTRE LO USAVO
3) hai acquistato il telefono online e lo hai consegnato in un paese in Europa? (finora non ho visto questo problema segnalato dai proprietari negli Stati Uniti/Canada/Asia, sembra essere stato segnalato in Repubblica Ceca, Germania, Regno Unito, da quello che ho letto qui)
ASUS ZENFONE 9 RICEVUTO IN TEST, PROVENIENZA TAIWAN, PRIMO LOTTO DI PRODUZIONE. VERSIONE 16GB E 256GB DI MEMORIA,
Potrebbe essere questa la discriminante (16GB di RAM)?

SeaCity
Rising Star I
Jack81

Now this is a very good community effort! I am pretty sure this is a sim card related network issue.

First month of usage I never experienced any random reboot but I did have an issue: at least once a day the phone would lose the internet signal and the only way to get it back was by forcing a reboot. Very annoying.

After a month the random reboots started but interestingly, I did not lose the internet signal any more. I now have between one and three per day, never when the phone is in use, but rather when it's sitting on its own. My suspicion is that when the phone struggles with the signal, it then self-instructs a reboot. Hence an idea, if people haven't tried this yet. Using the phone without the internet (still with the active sim but no data) to see if the issue persists...

View post
No, lo escludo che dipenda dal segnale basso del gestore telefonico. A me la maggior parte dei riavvii spontanei sono avvenuti in WiFi con connessione dati attiva (ma non utilizzata) e con pieno campo dati su entrambe le SIM attive in Dual SIM.
La frequenza di riavvii nel mio caso è stata modesta, ho avuto 9 riavvii in 28 giorni. Con un massimo di 2 avvii nello stesso giorno.
Sia in moda batteria Duraturo sia in modalità Dinamico.
Sia in standby sia durante il normale uso, sia durante una chiamata.
Il mio device ha 16GB e 256GB.
In tali casi ritengo che la soluzione migliore sia la sostituzione del device da parte di Asus con un nuovo Zenfone 9.
Spero che Asus trovi la soluzione al più presto possibile.