Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

HomerSp
Star III
Same here. I use an activity tracker with connected GPS, and when compared to my Pixel 6 it's a lot less accurate - with the zigzags, spikes etc that you mention. In addition to this, I usually run the same route and when using my Pixel 6 it's 10km, while on the ZenFone 9 it's around 11-12km.

esp2002
Rising Star I
I cannot comment on activity trackers(I should be using them :/) but gps has been fine with Google maps, maps.me and here we go maps. I will try it with daily roads voyager(dash cam recorder) because I wonder if besides getting GPS location, doing something intense concurrently might affect it?

Not sure.

vasilnvalchev
Star III
Since Android have an option for inaccurate locations for some apps, is there option you toggle it by mistake?
screenshot-20220912-123809-permission-controller-1.jpg

FunBike31
Community Legend I
The reception of the GPS signal actually seems quite poor and/or sensitive to reflections.
2 points to consider.
Google very wrongly names high precision because it is the opposite in many situations. This function makes it possible to acquire the FIX immediately by sending the position of the operator's antennas and to keep a position when the GPS signal does not pass (tunnel, cellar, forest), the precision depends on the number of antennas , high in cities, non-existent in rural areas. Typically 100m to 1km.
For a really precise location and see the quality of GPS reception, as soon as you have the initial position, deactivate the high precision function, you will really have the good or bad performance of the GPS function of the smartphone.

Another important point, do not compare the accuracy of the GPS with hiking, jogging, cycling software, anything that can be off-road with vehicle/journey guidance software (google map, waze, etc.) because in case of loss or deviation of position, those are designed to follow the indicated route, so if the GPS signal places you on the opposite lane or in the underside, the guidance software will correct to stay on the route