cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird lag in Zenfone 9

prathma1
Star I

Hello.

I have a Zenfone 9 16/256 and my wife has an S20 with Exynos.

We were checking something on Google Maps once and I noticed a big difference when scrolling around on the map. Her's did it much smoother (map movement reacted way faster to swipes) despite the phone being older with a worse processor. We were both on 120 Hz and both phones have 240 Hz touch samplig rate.

Why the difference?

1 REPLY 1

darrin5698
Star I

The difference in the smoothness of scrolling on Google Maps between your Zenfone 9 and your wife's Samsung Galaxy S20, despite both phones having similar refresh rates and touch sampling rates, could be due to several factors:

1. Software Optimization: Samsung's One UI might be better optimized for smooth scrolling and touch responsiveness in apps like Google Maps compared to the Zenfone's software. Different manufacturers implement unique optimizations that can impact performance.

2. GPU Performance: While the Zenfone 9 has a more powerful processor, the Exynos chip in the S20 might be handling the specific tasks related to rendering maps and processing touch inputs more efficiently in this scenario. It could be related to how Google Maps is optimized for different GPUs.

3. Thermal Throttling: If the Zenfone 9 was running hot during the test, it might have throttled its performance to manage temperatures, resulting in less smooth scrolling compared to the S20.

4. Background Processes: There could be differences in how background processes are managed on both phones, with the Zenfone potentially having more tasks running in the background, affecting its real-time performance.

5. Touch Latency and Input Processing: Although both phones have the same touch sampling rate, the S20 might have better input processing and lower latency, making it feel more responsive when scrolling through maps.

Updating software or clearing background tasks might help, but some differences could be inherent in the design and optimization of the devices.