On the evening of September 6th, I could suddenly no longer use the google voice assistant ("hey google") while the phone is on black lock screen (sleep mode). If I push a button to wake the phone up, works fine. If I unlock the phone, works fine. The problem is that I cannot use the phone hands free as it is.
I have the "Assistant responses on lock screen" is turned on.
Tried all the troubleshooting I could find on the Google forums, including:
- Turning off battery saving, turned google app battery usage to "unstricted"
- Cleared google app cache
- Checked the language of google assistant, retrained the voice model
- Rebooted several times
- Checked that the operating system and google app are up to date.
Solutions I haven't tried:
- resetting all settings
- factory reset
Obviously very hesitant to start setting up my phone from the beginning, including banking apps etc.
- Model name: Zenfone9
- Firmvare version: WW_33.0804.2060.165, Android 13 up to date
- Google app version: 184.108.40.206.arm64
- Frequency of problem: cannot use the voice assistant hands free since evening of September 6th, CET.
Thanks for reaching out. I'll be forwarding the issue to the R&D team.
Could you please share a video recording of the issue along with a log file?
Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1. Open “Calculator APP”
2. Enter “.19595+=”
3. Select the Log type “General cases”
4. After your selection the log tool will exit so you can replicate the issue. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5. Navigate back to the logging tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the logging tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)
Sorry for the slow reply.
I noticed after posting that also google voice search and Duolingo speaking exercises (which under the hood use google app) stopped working.
However, the google app update about 5-ish days ago fixed all the issues.