This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving up on my Zenfone 9

darklajid
Star III
I know this isn't the best place to share this, but maybe someone is browsing this board not as a fan and owner, but as a prospective buyer. For these people I want to share the following:
The Zenfone 9 has an amazing form factor, great battery life and a mostly uncluttered (free of bloat) version of Android.
Unfortunately, it's also very very slow (my old Pixel 4A is smoother and we had 5, 6 and now 7 in that series since). The Zenfone 9 stutters, randomly hangs a lot. The second SIM tray never worked okay (I created a thread on this board for this, another user reported the same issue. No follow-up or solution, thread is closed due to inactivity). GPay doesn't work properly for me in some scenarios (and no, it's not my account or card or whatever). Asus did follow up here, but it lead nowhere in the end.
So the phone cannot do the daily tasks I need it for (use my second SIM and/or pay for public transport) and feels more sluggish than a device that is quite a few years older. I'll switch back and just got a screen replacement for the 4A instead.
People that are on the fence about getting this phone: I suggest a hands-on session first. It might be a great device for you or it might not be a good fit - like for me.
34 REPLIES 34

darklajid
Star III
gargamel314

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/234997#Comment_234997

Sir, look at all these people telling you your device is likely defective. Your experience does not line up with the majority of Zenfone 9 users, doesn't that tell you maybe utilizing that 1-year warranty may be in order? You don't have to be disappointed, these things happen quite frequently, you could have a defective RAM module or something like that. This is the point where you contact tech support, you send yours in, they send you a new one, you walk away happy as a clam. Or you can just resolve to be hugely disappointed.

View post
I received this last time I reached out:
Kindly take note your device is entitled with local warranty and it is an oversea set. Therefore repair will be chargeable and subject to parts availability. Any final charges/quotation will be advised by the service center after inspection.
Out of warranty/In-warranty (Customer Induced Damage) fee:
Evaluation fee: $30 (this fee will be waived if you decide to proceed with the repair and labor)
Repair and labor fee: $80
Parts replacement fee: This will be advised by the service center.
--
I'm not paying for a phone that never worked properly, and I find it questionable that I get punished for having an "overseas handset" (in other words: I ordered it online because I was excited about it and it's not available in this country).
So no, it's not just a case of walking into some place and getting a working phone, unfortunately.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
darklajid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235056#Comment_235056

I received this last time I reached out:

Kindly take note your device is entitled with local warranty and it is an oversea set. Therefore repair will be chargeable and subject to parts availability. Any final charges/quotation will be advised by the service center after inspection.

Out of warranty/In-warranty (Customer Induced Damage) fee:

Evaluation fee: $30 (this fee will be waived if you decide to proceed with the repair and labor)

Repair and labor fee: $80

Parts replacement fee: This will be advised by the service center.

--

I'm not paying for a phone that never worked properly, and I find it questionable that I get punished for having an "overseas handset" (in other words: I ordered it online because I was excited about it and it's not available in this country).

So no, it's not just a case of walking into some place and getting a working phone, unfortunately.

View post
You complain that you dont have warranty on an imported device?

adriandaw
Star III
I had a lot of strange behaviour. Mine was one of the first UK phones. Alarms not sounding, lack of various notifications, some other random behaviours. It was up to date with ota updates.
I finally did a complete reset last week.
Now working perfectly. Fantastic speed, form factor and battery life.

vex_sb
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235073#Comment_235073

You complain that you dont have warranty on an imported device?

View post
So what if he do ??

Warranty should be honored on this particular device no matter where it's bought, because it is without doubt basically new. I found this manufacturer games very shady. They do give 2 year warranty right ?? So, all of them should honor it no matter where is device bought. Why it should be bought at "authorized seller " ?? They are all Asus ZF9 lol.

In my country on Asus page they promote ZF9 and how it can go under water. And we all know they would refuse repair if you bring it and it have water damage, no matter it's their fault with making it waterproof.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
vex_sb

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235183#Comment_235183

So what if he do ??

Warranty should be honored on this particular device no matter where it's bought, because it is without doubt basically new. I found this manufacturer games very shady. They do give 2 year warranty right ?? So, all of them should honor it no matter where is device bought. Why it should be bought at "authorized seller " ?? They are all Asus ZF9 lol.

In my country on Asus page they promote ZF9 and how it can go under water. And we all know they would refuse repair if you bring it and it have water damage, no matter it's their fault with making it waterproof.

View post
No it shouldnt. You cannot expect a company to honor warranty outside the places they sell otherwise you put huge costs towards a company for no reason. If you want warranty, make sure its sold in your country. There are cost and legal reason as to why ASUS and other manufacturers cannot honor warranty outside the regions they are purchased.