This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS locks only NAVSTAR constellation satellites

camillo_toselli
Star II
I bought a new Zenfone 7 Pro smartphone. GPS Status & Toolbox by EclipSim reports that only 5/6 of 64 satellites locks when full sky is available. When a lesser portion of sky is available, performance are even worse.
Only GPS NAVSTAR satellites locks. Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, satellites do not lock in any condition. However, GPS Status & Toolbox reports good signal strength also for not locking satellites.
My Zenfone 7 Pro has been replaced by a new one by the shop due to this issue but also the new one shows the same issue.
Please, help.
Thank you in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
camillo.toselli

Hi Anders,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried almost all app on Android Play Store. The issue is shown in NMEA logs so it is independent from the specific app used.

I tested the GPS antenna of my Asus ZenFone 5z simultaneously in the same place and it works flawlessly.

I suppose the problem is tied to Android 10. It is difficult to imagine that two just unboxed new devices behave exactly in the same way.

Could you perform the same test on a ZenFone 7 Pro with Android 10 firmware installed?

Is there a way to let me test GPS antenna with Android 11? I cannot join to the beta testing program.

Best regards!

View post
Both of my devices have A11. Just tried ROG 2 with A10 and it works.
I can send you a PM and see if I can get you into the beta

camillo_toselli
Star II
Thanks indeed!
I will answer your PM.
Only a last question. I use my phone to pay with Google Pay and I know that it is not possible with A11 beta. Will I be able to revert my ZenFone 7 Pro to A10 after the test to re-enable Google Pay payments?
Regards,
Camillo

fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
Zenfone 7 pro. A10, sunny day 7 out of 59.(sometimes 8 or 9 out of 60). I think it is an Android 10 issue. Though yesterday I used a lot the phone for navigation and it worked without any issues.

Regards.

camillo_toselli
Star II
Thank you for your reply. You confirmed my hypothesis.
Also my phone works correctly for navigation when it can see full sky. The issue can cause inaccuracies when full sky is not available: in that case, locking several GPS constellations improves precision.
It seems from previous answers that Android 11 beta fixes the issue.

camillo_toselli
Star II
I enrolled the beta program. I confirm that the beta firmware based on Android 11 fix the GPS issue.