This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To factory reset, or not, after OS update.

rp115640
Star III
Is it neccessary to perform a factory reset after updating the Android OS?
I've been seeing a lot of mix comments about this in other forums. Some claims that it is a must to perform a factory reset after the update. Some argue that it is only neccessary after a major update, eg. updating from A9 to A10. Then there are others who suggest that only clearing the cache is suffice. But there are also those who says that these are only required should the user experience problems after the update.
Well, which is the truth? Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kchinnavigneshr
Rising Star II
I've never reset unless I face serious issues. Android is supposed upgrade properly without reset. There could be issues due to various scenarios based on apps on phone and user usage.
I'm practically against "Reset" suggestion as its time and data consuming. Configuring phone after reset is a big annoyance. I don't even have time to sit and set-up back from scratch everytime. So thats that. I'm still on Android 9. Waiting for devs to iron out all bugs. Its better to wait than having to ask for fixes in forums.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kchinnavigneshr
Rising Star II
I've never reset unless I face serious issues. Android is supposed upgrade properly without reset. There could be issues due to various scenarios based on apps on phone and user usage.
I'm practically against "Reset" suggestion as its time and data consuming. Configuring phone after reset is a big annoyance. I don't even have time to sit and set-up back from scratch everytime. So thats that. I'm still on Android 9. Waiting for devs to iron out all bugs. Its better to wait than having to ask for fixes in forums.

Sourabh
Rising Star I
I usually factory reset my phone after every OTA. This definitely deletes some undeleted files and folder from the system, heavy thumbnail files which may go size 400-600 mb. Also while loading my data back on phone from pc, i load only essential data and apps, which indirectly makes my phone fresh and fast and also it resets some settings which you might have changed unknowingly. So i think you should reset your phone when you have free time, maybe once in 4 months.

Melqui
Zen Master I
I reset only at Android upgrade (9 to 10, 10 to 11)

rp115640
Star III
Thanks for the inputs. Seems like everyone has their own view in this over here as well.
I do agree with the points noted based on the different perspective.
But let me just leave this question open for a while longer, to see if I can get a solid "it-must-be-done-like-this-and-nothing-else" answer.