This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G on Mint

Reinhart97
Star I

I recently purchased a ROG Phone 8 and have switched to Mint mobile. According to Mint and the T-Mobile carrier map, I am supposed to have 5G but all that connects is 4G. What am I missing here?

9 REPLIES 9

kmcmurtrie
Rising Star II

Is it a legitimate US model?  You need stand-alone 5G on band 71.

Just checked my IMEI at IMEI.info says it supports lte-tdd 600 which is band 71. So not sure what to do, open a ticket with Asus I suppose. This is a brand new phone, just bought it last week, must be under warranty.

Make sure "Auto 5G" is turned off.  It does something that T-Mobile doesn't like so you'll get kicked off for a while.

Alexandra001
Star I

If your ROG Phone 8 is only connecting to 4G despite being on Mint Mobile (which uses T-Mobile’s network and should support 5G), here are some steps to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

Check 5G Compatibility:

Ensure that your ROG Phone 8 model supports the specific 5G bands used by T-Mobile/Mint Mobile. You can usually find this information in the phone's specifications or the manufacturer's website.
Verify Network Settings:

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Preferred network type (or similar) and ensure that 5G is selected or available. You might see options like 4G/5G Auto or 5G Only.
Enable 5G:

Some phones have an option to enable or prioritize 5G connectivity. Check if there's a setting in the phone’s network or connectivity options to enable 5G.
Check SIM Card Compatibility:

Ensure that your SIM card is 5G-compatible. Sometimes, older SIM cards or those from different carriers may not support 5G. Contact Mint Mobile to confirm if you need a new SIM card.
Update Carrier Settings:

Ensure your phone has the latest carrier settings. Carrier settings updates can affect connectivity and performance. Check for any available updates.
Check Network Coverage:

Confirm that you are in an area with 5G coverage. Even if 5G is supported, it may not be available everywhere. Use the coverage maps provided by Mint Mobile and T-Mobile to verify your location.
Restart Your Device:

Sometimes a simple restart can help your phone reconnect to the network correctly.
Update Software:

Ensure your phone's software is up to date. Go to Settings > System > System updates to check for and install any available updates.
Reset Network Settings:

As a last resort, you can reset your network settings. Go to Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth. This will clear all network-related settings and may resolve the issue.
Contact Support:

If you’ve tried all the above steps and still can’t connect to 5G, contact Mint Mobile customer support or ASUS support for further assistance.
By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve why your ROG Phone 8 is connecting to 4G instead of 5G. https://www.streameast.com