This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog7 another hard pass

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I

Since people keep asking me, yes the Rog7 is another pass. It's similair to Rog6 series and very likely as fragile as well, this time however ASUS has to do a major fk up to cause dead PM chips since the gen2 chip is much more efficient than previous gen. So I don't think that this series will actually have blowing up PM chips, that being said as we saw on the Rog Phone 6, ASUS can still mess up another circuit.

Now you may ask, If the Rog7 finally stops dying why is it a hardpass?

There is literally no reason to buy the Rog7. The gen2 chip runs hella efficient and therefore really doesnt need that much cooling to be fully utilized. There are only few companies like samsung who somehow still mess up the cooling for a low power drawing chip, however the others do a fantastic job cooling the chip down just fine. So if performance is not a factor anymore, what does the Rog7 realisticly still offer?

The answer is nothing.

There is nothing the Rog7 has to offer that has any real value over a normal consumer phone, you're paying premium for a midrange phone with a highend chip and terrible software support. Camera is budgetrange, Display is anchient E4 panel, the "aero cooler" is just a crappy addon to unluck full performance for no reason as ASUS artifically bottlenecks your phone even tho passive cooling is more than enough to cool the chip down, which means without cooler the Rog7 will perform worse than the average consumer phone with the gen2 chip, Battery life is even worse since consumer phones like to have around 5000mah, however due to new display tech have much more efficient displays causing less powerdraw which outlast the Rog7, no wireless charging, no SD card no nothiing, there is literally nothing but "bling bling" to it.

I expect the sales of the Rog7 to be extremely low this year, even last year we saw a declining number of sales after information came out how much more efficient gen2 was going to be.

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks again for your input. Actually, I bought it out of curiosity and if you can remember me, you advised me against it when I asked your opinion on the heavily discounted 5s series. So I'm not a fanboy or whatever, just like to test the device and form my own judgment. With the price tag around USD150, why not? And, I can see what you and  Funbike were trying to inform us about this phone.

And currently testing ROG 6, a bit better than 5 but I do miss the "punchiness" of the speaker output from ROG 5. Or is it just me that ROG 6 has speaker that is actually quiter than ROG 5? And as an avid user or ASUS's GPU and mobo for a long time, I'm quite disappointed on how the current situation is painted and plaguing on ASUS, especially the mobile phone division.

Rog5 should be louder from what I remember but will depend on version of the firmware. You probably got it cheap because of its probably about to kick the bucket with dead modem on the SoC much like the xiaomi 11 ultra. 

ASUS's GPU's tend to be mediocre and all their boards except for their top series maximus is borderline trash for the price. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate on ASUS, but they do release so much bad stuff. I personally own an ASUS montor, projector, phone (rog3, gaming device with twinview, quite unique), flow X13 (heavily modded and fixed ASUS's dumbfkery) but despite owning many of even the good products ASUS has made, they really have issues with tons of their products, be if phones, motherboards, laptops etc. 

Yes, ROG5 is louder than ROG6. Not sure of the SOC is dying since I got an opened demo set plus I've traded it. So far, imho, ROG5 is just a midrange phone in the end (even a midrange phone can beat that phone) and ROG6 is a bit better device thanks to SD 8+ Gen 1, but not in a mile way better than ROG5.

But alas, your money and your decision. ROG phones should be a prime example of not entirely swallow all reviews made by YouTuber Tech Enthusiasts.

Maybe I am lucky with my (old) ROG2 512gb, everything works perfectly, speakers are very loud and crystal clear, no problems with 475 full charges to date, but I'm very cautious about OS updates, often after an update I had problems and that's why I'm still with the original OS9 with the ROG2, I've been using android since version 1.5 with HTC, Motorola and ACER (very good).

Good to know about laptops/pcs, I have never had problems with dell/alienware/xps laptops and pc's and their (premium) support is top notch, I still have perfectly working units from more than 20 years ago.

Don't compare old hardware with new hardware, the anti repair and anti consumer practices are rather recent. Todays XPS is way more fragile than the ones from 10 years ago, not even comparible. 

As for the Rog2, if you don't play to much on it so it starts killing the PM chip or the SoC then itll last forever, also the Rog2 is possibly the loudest phone that has ever been made, it lacks bass and sounds tinny but good lord is it loud.