This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?

DZHEX
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: AI2201_C
Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.
img-20220915-204410.jpg
img-20220915-204403.jpg
The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?
I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.
Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.
Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.
59 REPLIES 59

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@DZHEX
as for your last post, sadly the mobile markets targetgroup isnt particularly interested in knowing tech related things. The average consumer on the smartphone market is more interested in hearing how great the device is which they purchased, than hearing that their supposed dream phone is not recommendable. Look at the extremely aggresive response you see in some topics when I mention these hardware related problems, people would rather cope and defend this phone to the death than admit it has some severe hardware problems.
To illustrate the issue, when I mention that the power IC will eventually blow up due to the copy and paste of the Rog5 design, they won't take it as proof, because in their mind comparing 2 circuits and realizing that the supporting components are still underspecced is apparently not proof enough, becuase they simply cannot fathom that there are people who can look at components and understand what these components do.
You cannot make the Rog6 catch fire unless you somehow mess with the battery itself. Worst case is going to be, you mess with the camera some more until eventually the protective circuit finally gives in and shorts out and the phone won't turn on anymore. In order to start a fire, there has to be something to burn or it requires enough power shot through something that a fire would accur to the point where a phone would catch fire.
I remember when I made a video about the Rog5 on release, explaining that it has problems, the response was typicially that I'm a hater and whatnot, the video got disliked to hell, now you see the Rog5 section where people literally get all pikachuface on how this possibly could happen. This mindset is sadly the main cause why people don't get to see people like me and funbike explaining why not to buy the phone and instead channels like mrwhosetheboss which is all nonsense blow up and mislead everybody into buying phones that are very questionable for peoples usecase, due to channels like those, the average consumer actually believes the Iphones make good images, despite loosing in blind tests to 300USD phones. Sadly people need to dig in order to find the real information, which most really don't want to do, since the attentionspan of the average consumer is so extremely short, this is also why tiktok and youtube shorts are so popular.

DZHEX
Star III

Danishblunt

@DZHEX

as for your last post, sadly the mobile markets targetgroup isnt particularly interested in knowing tech related things. The average consumer on the smartphone market is more interested in hearing how great the device is which they purchased, than hearing that their supposed dream phone is not recommendable. Look at the extremely aggresive response you see in some topics when I mention these hardware related problems, people would rather cope and defend this phone to the death than admit it has some severe hardware problems.

To illustrate the issue, when I mention that the power IC will eventually blow up due to the copy and paste of the Rog5 design, they won't take it as proof, because in their mind comparing 2 circuits and realizing that the supporting components are still underspecced is apparently not proof enough, becuase they simply cannot fathom that there are people who can look at components and understand what these components do.

You cannot make the Rog6 catch fire unless you somehow mess with the battery itself. Worst case is going to be, you mess with the camera some more until eventually the protective circuit finally gives in and shorts out and the phone won't turn on anymore. In order to start a fire, there has to be something to burn or it requires enough power shot through something that a fire would accur to the point where a phone would catch fire.

I remember when I made a video about the Rog5 on release, explaining that it has problems, the response was typicially that I'm a hater and whatnot, the video got disliked to hell, now you see the Rog5 section where people literally get all pikachuface on how this possibly could happen. This mindset is sadly the main cause why people don't get to see people like me and funbike explaining why not to buy the phone and instead channels like mrwhosetheboss which is all nonsense blow up and mislead everybody into buying phones that are very questionable for peoples usecase, due to channels like those, the average consumer actually believes the Iphones make good images, despite loosing in blind tests to 300USD phones. Sadly people need to dig in order to find the real information, which most really don't want to do, since the attentionspan of the average consumer is so extremely short, this is also why tiktok and youtube shorts are so popular.

View post
Well, have a look from the perspective of someone selecting a new phone - they have to do that research for every option that they look at, and finding that information may not be trivial to begin with, especially with something as complex as a smartphone. Most how-to-buys only ever talk about selecting features that you might want, not, for instance, to look at reddit posts or relevant forums, not tech reviewers, for information about reliability. But that sort of information also requires some hunting down, and doing that for every single option can take quite a bit of time. And finding out your favorite selection has a bust, after you've pretty much got your sights on that option, is very frustrating, even if you haven't bought it yet.
But fanboying in spite of evidence is indeed really annoying (and bad, actually, as it muddies the waters and helps the product sell more than it should). If I had found this stuff out beforehand, then I would have chosen something different, probably zenfone 9. I may have taken a gamble with failure rate, if it was known to be low (enough).
Have you actually taken a ROG apart, btw?

--I wrote this comment almost a week ago, posting it now just to get it over with 😅

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
DZHEX

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/229407#Comment_229407

Well, have a look from the perspective of someone selecting a new phone - they have to do that research for every option that they look at, and finding that information may not be trivial to begin with, especially with something as complex as a smartphone. Most how-to-buys only ever talk about selecting features that you might want, not, for instance, to look at reddit posts or relevant forums, not tech reviewers, for information about reliability. But that sort of information also requires some hunting down, and doing that for every single option can take quite a bit of time. And finding out your favorite selection has a bust, after you've pretty much got your sights on that option, is very frustrating, even if you haven't bought it yet.

But fanboying in spite of evidence is indeed really annoying (and bad, actually, as it muddies the waters and helps the product sell more than it should). If I had found this stuff out beforehand, then I would have chosen something different, probably zenfone 9. I may have taken a gamble with failure rate, if it was known to be low (enough).

--I wrote this comment almost a week ago, posting it now just to get it over with 😅

View post
Have taken a couple apart, also notebooks and other things of the sort. When I deem something interesting enough I even make a vid about it like on the surface pro 4:

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
DZHEX

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/229407#Comment_229407

View post
In case its relevant, not like its anything new, but letting them know about the proabbly part number might speed up repair:
Mattias_ASUS

Hello.

Today I got a reply from R&D, it turns out that the issue is hardware based and an internal component needs replacement, please let the Service Center that they need to follow "CSC-ECN-AIAUN975" to replace it, the camera module is not what needs to be replaced.

You can find your closest ASUS Service Center here:

https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location

View post

Mattias_ASUS
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/230356#Comment_230356

In case its relevant, not like its anything new, but letting them know about the proabbly part number might speed up repair:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/232543#Comment_232543

View post
This indeed seems to be the same issue will copypaste the other post for easy access.
Today I got a reply from R&D, it turns out that the issue is hardware based and an internal component needs replacement.
You can find your closest ASUS Service Center here:
https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location