This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?

DZHEX
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: AI2201_C
Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.
img-20220915-204410.jpg
img-20220915-204403.jpg
The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?
I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.
Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.
Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.
59 REPLIES 59

DZHEX
Star III
Alright, migrated and factory reset the phone. The problem did deteriorate to the point of camera not showing up any picture at all. The click does seem to be different every time, sometimes it's literally as if there was some mechanical component in the camera, others it's got a bit of a hiss to it.
Just for redundant clarity, which we were sure of anyway, factory reset did not fix the camera.
I guess there's no chance of a recall by asus if it doesn't have a fire hazard, huh...

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Not sure that there is not this risk, there is a short circuit on a component, the phone should have gone to safety, not turn on again and not recognize a charger.
It reacts as if the fuse had been changed but without having repaired the cause, without opening the phone to know the cause and the risk, it would be better to apply the precautionary principle before users continue to use it or put it on in charge. if I'm not mistaken, there have been reports of it getting hot.

DZHEX
Star III
Just handed it in. It OBVIOUSLY pretended everything was fine when the guy picked it up to check it. 🤣 But the symptoms did manifest in about a minute, nowhere near as severe as when I last tested it, though.
They told me that I would be able to change it for a different device, so that's nice. Now just gotta hope the xperia's price drops back down to reasonable levels by the time I have to make the call.
FunBike31

Not sure that there is not this risk, there is a short circuit on a component, the phone should have gone to safety, not turn on again and not recognize a charger.

It reacts as if the fuse had been changed but without having repaired the cause, without opening the phone to know the cause and the risk, it would be better to apply the precautionary principle before users continue to use it or put it on in charge. if I'm not mistaken, there have been reports of it getting hot.

View post
yeah, if asus issued a recall, it would be hell of a lot easier for people in general, not to mention just being the right thing to do when product is defective like this.
Is there a gamersnexus equivalent for smartphones? It would be quite useful if someone got one of these to actually catch fire, especially without any rooting or mods. JerryRigEverything isn't quite it, but seems to be the closest, AFAIK.

DZHEX
Star III
My comment got deleted after I edited it... weird.
Anyway, I handed in the phone and it OBVIOUSLY pretended that it was fine when the guy picked up to test it. However the symptoms manifested in about a minute. Turns out he was eying the ROG 6, too...
They said I would be able to change to a different device, so that's some hope... now just gotta hope that the xperia's price goes back to reasonable level by the time I have to make the call.
FunBike31

View post
Asus issuing a recall would surely make things easier for consumers (such as myself), besides being the right thing to do when their product has a systematic defect like this...
I wonder if there's something like gamersnexus for smartphones? If someone got this thing to actually catch fire, preferably without rooting, it would be quite useful. JerryRigEverything is the closest one AFAIK, but not quite it...

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
DZHEX

My comment got deleted after I edited it... weird.

Anyway, I handed in the phone and it OBVIOUSLY pretended that it was fine when the guy picked up to test it. However the symptoms manifested in about a minute. Turns out he was eying the ROG 6, too...

They said I would be able to change to a different device, so that's some hope... now just gotta hope that the xperia's price goes back to reasonable level by the time I have to make the call.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/229392#Comment_229392

Asus issuing a recall would surely make things easier for consumers (such as myself), besides being the right thing to do when their product has a systematic defect like this...

I wonder if there's something like gamersnexus for smartphones? If someone got this thing to actually catch fire, preferably without rooting, it would be quite useful. JerryRigEverything is the closest one AFAIK, but not quite it...

View post
They didnt recall the rog5 despite wifi dying left and right, they wont recall this mess either.