Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few Downgrade I have noticed

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
ROG Phone 5 Audio Spec:
Speaker
1. Symmetrical dual front-facing speakers with Dirac HD Sound
2. "7-magnet stereo speaker" with Cirrus Logic amplifier for louder, deeper and less distorted sound effect
Audio Output
1. Hi-Res Audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit for 3.5mm output
2. "High-end ESS DAC 9280AC Pro for lossless sound output"
3. AudioWizard with multiple listening profiles
Microphone
1. "Quad microphones" with ASUS Noise Reduction Technology

ROG Phone 6 Audio Spec:
Speaker
1. Symmetrical dual front-facing speakers with Dirac HD Sound
2. "5-magnet stereo speaker" with Cirrus Logic amplifier for louder, deeper and less distorted sound effect
Audio Output
1. Hi-Res Audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit for 3.5mm output
2. "Qualcomm WCD9385 for Hi-Res output"
3. AudioWizard with multiple listening profiles
Microphone
1. "Tri-microphones" with ASUS Noise Reduction Technology

From "7-magnet stereo speaker" downgrade to "5-magnet stereo speaker"
From "High-end ESS DAC 9280AC Pro for lossless sound output" downgrade to "Qualcomm WCD9385 for Hi-Res output"
From "Quad microphones" downgrade to "Tri-microphones"

Does this mean, ROG Phone 5 have superior audio quality and mic quality compare to ROG Phone 6?😅

11 REPLIES 11

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
No, it's basicially the same.
1.) The speakers from Rog5 peak vs Rog3 were almost the same, the Rog5 was slightly louder, thats it, over the updates the Rog5 got worse for some reason. I assume Rog6 will be around Rog5 release/rog3 ballpark as usual.
2.) They didnt bother adding the new dac again because they realized that the built in dac from Qualcomm is indistinguishable from the ESS Sabre Dac. Modern day dacs are so good that there is no need to upgrade them, it's just a waste of money.
3.) quad micrphones were overkill. if you use 3 or 4 it shouldnt make a difference either, youd see a major difference from 1 -> 2, a notable difference from 2 -> 3 and 3 -> 4 is probably going to be the same. Also it depends on how the microphones are configured as well.

Overall, there should be no notable differences at all.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Version WW-32.2810.2206.95
2022/07/22 3.75 GBytes

1. Updated Android security patch to 2022-06
2. Optimize the Audio experience
3. Fixed occasional charging abnormality problem
4. Adjusted the cooling modes of AeroActive Cooler 6

I do not really agree with Danishblunt, the Microphone next to the camera was useful in troubleshooting for small video, for audio and quality it will be necessary to wait a bit to compare because the Asus developer team must be the same as ROG 5,

In summary, a first Firmware with rare Bugs
A shift that destroys what was working "Audio" and even agraves 'for MAP' which blocks the phone every 10 min, which it had to correct
Audio, regular clicking on the speakers
Distorted sound, skipping sound, exploding Medium, unselectable headphone jack, and more that didn't exist in the original firmware.
For Asus, fixing this is called "Optimize the Audio experience"
I'm afraid for the charging system, it brings back painful memories
A new update (.95) which "may be" corrects what the previous one destroyed, more than waiting for feedback

In summary, for the software, no downgrade compared to Rog 5, still as bad🤣 the 30% increase was not used to create a quality control department

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FunBike31

Version WW-32.2810.2206.95

2022/07/22 3.75 GBytes

1. Updated Android security patch to 2022-06

2. Optimize the Audio experience

3. Fixed occasional charging abnormality problem

4. Adjusted the cooling modes of AeroActive Cooler 6

I do not really agree with Danishblunt, the Microphone next to the camera was useful in troubleshooting for small video, for audio and quality it will be necessary to wait a bit to compare because the Asus developer team must be the same as ROG 5,

In summary, a first Firmware with rare Bugs

A shift that destroys what was working "Audio" and even agraves 'for MAP' which blocks the phone every 10 min, which it had to correct

Audio, regular clicking on the speakers

Distorted sound, skipping sound, exploding Medium, unselectable headphone jack, and more that didn't exist in the original firmware.

For Asus, fixing this is called "Optimize the Audio experience"

I'm afraid for the charging system, it brings back painful memories

A new update (.95) which "may be" corrects what the previous one destroyed, more than waiting for feedback

In summary, for the software, no downgrade compared to Rog 5, still as bad🤣 the 30% increase was not used to create a quality control department

View post
Can you elaborate on the troubleshooting part? I fail to see any real use for that.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/220018#Comment_220018

Can you elaborate on the troubleshooting part? I fail to see any real use for that.

View post
Troubleshooting French translated into English is not great, sorry, occasionally, rarely would be more appropriate
My wife is a singer/musician in a band, I mainly use dedicated professional photo, audio and video equipment, but it happens (rare, 3 times in 12 months) at friends' or in a bar that she is asked to sing, it was not planned of course and I use the ROG 5 in this case, before with other smartphones, the audio was invaded by ambient noise, with the Rog 5 it is not great of course but the difference is that we keep the video as a souvenir instead of deleting it. There you go, I hope that's clearer.