Sibi
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: .86
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): camera
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi team,
I just now saw the dxo camera score of zenfone 8 which is 120 which is higher than s21 from samsung....but despite having same rear camera sensors(main and ultra wide) as zf 8 the rog 5 picture quality is much poor with image not being sharp enough and noise effects....zf 8 has much better and richer picture output than rog 5...please improve rog 5 camera software also like you did with many camera improvement updates for zf 8 since launch.
7 REPLIES 7

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
ARP_ASUS

Hi Sibi,

Thanks for the feedback. The camera software and the output are optimized with every update.

View post
But you sacrifice rgb light for optimized camera which is not a good choice
You need to allow us to choose whatever we want to turn rgb on or off when open camera
Some of us want to do mirror selfie with rgb on but we can't do that after last update

Sibi
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51389/rog-5-camera-software

Mind showing some pictures? Because depending on situation the ZF8 won't do any better, infact considering how the Rog3 does better than the S21 as well I don't see why the rog5 should be bad there as well.

Also the ultrawide is different, the ZF8 uses a sony IMX sensor while the Rog uses a worse Omnivision sensor. Only the main lens is the same.

View post
Rog 3 is not anywhere near s21 bro and zf 8 has much better color output with much less noise control and better dynamic range because of constant updates

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Sibi

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/179451#Comment_179451

Rog 3 is not anywhere near s21 bro and zf 8 has much better color output with much less noise control and better dynamic range because of constant updates

View post
S21 is worse "bro". The S21 has much better camera lens but due to the absolute garbage processing the pictures are worse. The only time the S21 wins is zoomed images. The harder the images get in terms of lighting and movement the worse the S21 gets, despite it theoreticly should have done better due to better hardware specs.
Here are some examples of the S21 failing hard:
S21, overexposed, soft, loss of detail, noisy.

Here the Iphone 11 pro by comparison:

Way to overprocessed (contrasty etc.), slightly underexposed, however still better than the poop fiesta that S21 did. It's honeslty not hard to beat the S21 due to the crappy processing.
The general consensous is that the S20 ultra / S21 ultra is a downgrade in terms of image quality. The only people who think their S20/S21 are a major upgrade are people who had a terrible budget phone beforehand. People who upgraded from something like a P30 pro or Note 10 were very dissapointed by the comparetively bad image quality.
r/GalaxyS21 - Really impressed with the S21 Ultra! Best pictures I've ever taken.
Another great post from a user who was impressed at first, but realized after using it that the camera system is quite problematic.
For still shots it's a really good camera. Any slight movement or not perfect lighting, I'm still not impressed. Love the phone but I still find myself reaching for my pixel or iphone if I'm going out and taking a ton of pics.

I agree the phone doesnt handle movement and low light well. But only if both conditions are present. Movement in ok light is fine. No movement in low light is fine. Movement in low light is garbage 😣
Overall saying that a phone makes better pictures than the S20 ultra / S21 ultra isn't an incredible feat. Now If I were to claim it makes better pictures than lets say the P50 pro huawei has released, then everyone would raise an eyebrow.

Note how people think the google pixel does generally better than S21 ultra, the google pixel have really bad hardware but google cam will do the software processing and make the pixel have an edge over the S21 ultra, so how does gcam with a better lens perform on the Rog3?
Well heres an example:
Google Cam + Rog3, ok details, whitebalance out of whack, but overall ok image
17-gcam.jpg

Here the Rog3 manual mode:
The image speaks for itself, more details, proper white balance and overall just perfect.
18-gcam.jpg

Now if the manual mode already crushes gcam which is basicially just a pixel 5 with 0.2 larger micrometers on the lens, then the samsung gets beaten up pretty bad as well.
I already did a comparison between the S20 ultra and the Rog3 and it wasn't even a contest, as long images werent zoomed images the Samsung lost badly.

I rest my case.