This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which motherboard for home office

RJCook
Star I

Currently I have a custom built Asus P8H77-M-PRO with i5 CPU. Now i like to move to a more "current" version of this motherboard, which has been very reliable for me.

I use many MS Excel sheets with volatile formulas, and intend to use python and JavaScript programming for a photography application not yet started.

Which Asus motherboard should I consider that is compatible with i7, but will consider i9, that has 2-4 USB 3.2Gen? in the back as well as 1-2 in the front. Also 3-4 USB 2.0 in the back and 1 in the front, i.e, the more the merrier. 

Here is where I'm confused, expansion slots. I would like at least one PCIe M.2  or PCIe Gen 3 or Gen 4, SSD storage and 1 or 2 SATA SSD drives. Plus an expansion slot for a future GPU.  And of course a DVD/CD interface for backward compatibility.

The memory I prefer four (4) slots.

All the searches come back with "gaming" or "graphic design" motherboards. Is there an advantage or disadvantage using a these type of boards?

Any help and input is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

lmacmil2
Star III

Decide which CPU you want (presumably Intel's latest 12th generation or above) then work through the Asus motherboard selection site to find the board that meets your requirements.  Don't worry about the name.

Thank your for the reply. 

I was thinking of getting this: Intel Core i7-12700KF - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake 12-Core (8P+4E) 3.6 GHz LGA 1700 125W Desktop Processor - BX8071512700KF.

Do you have a specific motherboard in mind that has all the expansion slots and interfaces I mentioned, that would accommodate above CPU? I guess I have to do some search if this CPU will handle my requirements.

Thanks again for all your help.