cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

dimark096
Star II
Hey everyone.
I bought my Asus ZenFone 9 3 weeks ago, since day 1 I had random restarts. It happened few times during the day, sometimes during calls, so its really annoying.
It also happening every night (I don't charge the phone during the night). I realise it restarts because it asks to enter the password manually.
I still at android 12.
How can I resolve this issue?? I didn't expect this kind of issues with this price range and reputation of the company.
By the way, Is this issue resolved with android 13? Is there any new bugs in android 13?

texh00
Star I
@dimark096 I'm on the latest update WW_33.0804.260.73 still have random restarts. And no one is telling if the problem is software and can be solved with an update or is it hardware and how to proceed to solve this annoying problem.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
dimark096

Hey everyone.

I bought my Asus ZenFone 9 3 weeks ago, since day 1 I had random restarts. It happened few times during the day, sometimes during calls, so its really annoying.

It also happening every night (I don't charge the phone during the night). I realise it restarts because it asks to enter the password manually.

I still at android 12.

How can I resolve this issue?? I didn't expect this kind of issues with this price range and reputation of the company.

By the way, Is this issue resolved with android 13? Is there any new bugs in android 13?

View post
Hi @dimark096 ,
I'm the original poster. I posted the solution a couple of times in previous posts. Given that people might not go through all the drama of the 9834829482 previous posts I'll make it clear: In my experience, if you replace the mainboard/motherboard the issue disappears. I had the same issue and after having it replaced it never happened again.
I'm a bit afraid of new updates given my past experiences so I'm currently running an old firmware as it was the one that worked for me AFTER REPLACING the component mentioned above.
Good luck!

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
texh00

@dimark096 I'm on the latest update WW_33.0804.260.73 still have random restarts. And no one is telling if the problem is software and can be solved with an update or is it hardware and how to proceed to solve this annoying problem.

View post
@texh00 I did say a few posts back but it seems people are just reading the recent ones!. I have just replied to @dimark096. I also refused to believe it at first as I loved the phone and didn't want any more pain but once I faced reality and had the solution I mentioned in the previous post: no more restarts. There is a chance that it can also be solved via software but that is still in the workings by the looks of it.

dimark096
Star II
@texh00 , @HelpingHand thank you for your response.
Since my restarts occur mostly at night, I disabled the bedtime mode and automatic do not disturb mode. it still did not happen again (4 nights passed).
That's why I feel not so comfortable with cracking my phone open and replacing the motherboard over something that happened once in a while and it may be software problem. In addition sometimes I have microphone problems that are software I guess because most of the time it's okay.
I just don't understand why in the phone with this price tag there are so many issues and Asus is not responding to any of them.