This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
himverma2012

Got 4th beta update as of yesterday. Developers still haven't integrated the fix in the kernel. Moreover, the latest update has messed up the display while fixing the haptic feedback & a few other things.

Why can't they apply the fix already? 🤔😓

View post
Don't get discuraged. First priority is to fix bugs, after that comes stuff like calibration etc. Also what do you mean with messed up the display?

himverma2012
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/164622#Comment_164622

Don't get discuraged. First priority is to fix bugs, after that comes stuff like calibration etc. Also what do you mean with messed up the display?

View post
The display has flickering issues. Sometimes when you turn on the screen, the colours become oversaturated but return to normal if you change the brightness slider. The black crush has worsened with this update as well. Otherwise, the display was ok to some extent but the black crush never got fixed.

jerquait
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/164622#Comment_164622

View post
Danish bro I have just installed an app called rog 3 black crush fix made by you...but I don't know why it does not fix black crush completely in my phone also the blacks become less black when I enable this app made by you ...other users are reporting that their black crush is completely fixed by this app...But for me it did not work out...why is it so brother??

Jaganmohan
Rising Star I
jerquait

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/164665#Comment_164665

Danish bro I have just installed an app called rog 3 black crush fix made by you...but I don't know why it does not fix black crush completely in my phone also the blacks become less black when I enable this app made by you ...other users are reporting that their black crush is completely fixed by this app...But for me it did not work out...why is it so brother??

View post
I guess he development a kernel to fix the display issue that too requires unlocked bootloader. I dont think so he developed any standalone app for this issue

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
himverma2012

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/164665#Comment_164665

The display has flickering issues. Sometimes when you turn on the screen, the colours become oversaturated but return to normal if you change the brightness slider. The black crush has worsened with this update as well. Otherwise, the display was ok to some extent but the black crush never got fixed.

View post
Could you provide some pictures? Sounds really strange to me.

@jerquait The app is useless without my kernel. That being said where did you even get it from? Pretty sure you didnt find the way to the actual source otherwise you would know this by now.