My two cents on the Zf9

After looking at the reviews it seems like a little solid device, what bothers me tho is the fact that its running the gen8.

The Gen7 is the perfect chip, its super efficient, has very good performance and would allow the phone not to overheat and have insane battery life.

It would also lower the price of the phone, starting price for 8GB / 128GB SSD for 799USD is steep.

I'm still concerned about durability, due to how the ZF8 went, but we will see on that one.

Comments

• FunBike31FunBike31 Level 4

Our most important Smartphone site titles this after the test

Asus ZenFone 9 test: but who is this smartphone really for?

And the answer is no surprise, no one

Users who prefer compactness do not need this power.

-- Anyway, here in FR, small size = Apple Mini, the latest SE is too big and the mini still gives it strong competition

Too small for a gamer, too small to master the Gen+8 heater

Photo module, aperture 1.9 High noise at Zoom >3

Rest the audio, it's not much, especially counting the +100€

• To be fair, ASUS didnt have much time to improve on their new lens yet. Look at the Rog3 for instance, normally people would say IMX 686 sucks bad, but they made the processing ridicolously good.

I think your statement about size is on point, what people want is a small, long lasting phone. Not a powerhouse that heats up and then lasts like half a day. I mean look at the poor batterylife of the Rog6, how is a roughly 2000mah lesser battery supposed to handle that sht.

• Zenfone 8/8 flip was the final form of IMX686.

On the Zenfone 9, the front cam and the ultra wide were improved but the main lens still need some tuning for a while (A day 0 patch was out also)

• ehunt22ehunt22 Level 1

There may be some people who want a small phone without compromising on performance

It's just a shame that the latest SoC produce so much heat that larger bodies and special cooling tech and high battery consumption become an issue

• Starting price is actually 699USD and 799EU.

The Gen 8 chip has some wild battery life, been testing it for a while, I'm always impressed about it.

• Not really, its worse than previous gen (SD 865). Budget phones with SD 765 or the new Gen7 will easily outlast the Zf9. That being said the Zf9 has been optimized a ton to sustain and last long on the gen8 as well as possible, this also explains why the Rog6 is in the current bad state. Are there plans on treating the Rog6 similarly or is it going to be thrown in a corner like the Rog5 has been?

Why the rather large discrepancy between EU and US?

• Specify the Country when you announce, in Europe here are the prices almost 15% inflation and they are available for pre-order, which is not the case on the US site announced at 800 for the 16/256

https://estore.asus.com/en/zenfone-9.html

PRICE CONFIGURATION COLOR AVAILABILITY

€799.00 8GB / 128GB Midnight Black Mid-August

€799.00 8GB / 128GB Moonlight White Mid-August

€799.00 8GB / 128GB Sunset Red End of August

€799.00 8GB / 128GB Starry Blue End of August

€849.00 8GB / 256GB Midnight Black Mid-August

€849.00 8GB / 256GB Moonlight White Mid-August

€899.00 16GB / 256GB Midnight Black Mid-August

• ktwktw Level 2
    edited August 1

I mean, hey, at least we should be happy that Zf9 is using 8+ Gen 1 fabbed by TSMC, not the crappy 8 Gen 1 fabbed by Samsung anymore 🙃.

Geekerwan released a video of his test results on the performance of 8+ Gen 1 a few weeks ago -- the closer the curve is to the top left, the more energy efficient the chip is. Based on the result, we can see that 8+ is more efficient than 8 in both the CPU and GPU departments.

The durability with 8+ Gen 1 also concerns me because Zf9 is a small phone and has limited space for its cooling system, that part I agree with you ☹️.

Lots and lots of reviews have said that heating on 8+ gen 1 is a lot better (i.e. the highest temp it reaches is much lower than the crap 8 Gen 1), but we'll still need to wait and see how it goes after a few months.

As for your suggestion on 7 Gen 1 -- If Zf9 uses 7 Gen 1, the phone will fall into the mid-range/budget phone category. In case you don't know about ASUS enough, the company restructured itself and the phone dev department back in 2018/2019 (quite a few hundred of ppl got laid off) and got rid of the low- and mid-range lineups so that it can focus on delivering ONLY high-end flagship phones. With that said, using 7 Gen 1 or any other mid-range chips will completely contradict the current positioning of the Zenfone line-up, so it's very unlikely with ASUS.

• I don't like what I'm seeing because it's the total power draw of the phones, not just the chip. It's misleading.

I mean I can see that the phone department is failing hard given what we see with the latest phones thus far.

• ktwktw Level 2

Yeah that might be true, but it's still a good reference given that the test is done by Geekerwan, not some random YouTube clickbait -- I mean, he was the first one in the Chinese-speaking community to warn people that SD 888 (and later 8 Gen 1) is disastrous. We all know the story afterward.

We can all agree that the switch from Samsung fab to TSMC fab has greatly improved 8 Gen's P/w, now that about 5 or 6 models running on 8+ Gen 1 have been released and tested in reviews. If you disagree with this, I'll wonder if you have ever read or watched any reviews on those devices before you disagree. lol

AFAIK, ASUS' phone department is simply trying to keep its Zenfone lineup alive, even in Taiwan. Its share in the phone market in Taiwan goes down to even as low as 1% due to fierce competition from Apple, Samsung, and most importantly all the Chinese manufacturers. We probably won't see any "wow factors" in the Zenfones any time soon. To the very least, not for any of us who won't consider compact phones and just want to post stuff here 🙂

• No, I wouldnt say greatly improved at all. It's improved but not greatly. It's still a power hungry chip no matter how you look at it.

Lucky for us qualcomm does seem to finally adress the efficiency concerns with their new gen2 chip.

• ktwktw Level 2

smh I'm talking about P/w (& FPS/w) and you are arguing about the total power draw. We are looking at 2 different things so this convo won't go anywhere like this 🙂

• @ktw

No we really aren't. Honestly at this point you're just trying to bullshit people with misinformation.

To make it absolutely clear, so that even you don't have any arguments left:

First, lets debunk real quick why your graphs are worthless.

• The graphs are based on total power draw, not actual chip power draw
    • Then the drivers are on a completely different level, the 870 drivers for instance are horribly outdated, the new drivers have an uplift up to 20% with less powerdraw

Now lets get into the juicy bit. Proving that the gen8+ isnt that much more efficient:

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_5-review-2235p3.php

Here we got 2 phones, Rog5 and Rog6, we note that the Rog5 beats the Rog6 in video playback and calling time. How exacly is this a ~20% efficienty uplift? In all honesty, the performance uplift on max gaming performance is maybe around what? 5% at best.

As for why I talk about max performance? Well thats because what people here care about, they want to run their game on max performance not some battery mode. It doesnt change the fact that you can literally make the rog6 go empty from 0-100 in less than 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia06NvMfB50

here is a xiaomi 12s ultra and as you can see the powerdraw is very low compared to most gen8 non plus, however what we notice instantly here is that the game also runs notably worse, this is due to xiaomi knowing their limits and finetune the chip to find a good balance between power and efficiency. It has little to do with the actual chip, but with xiaomi actually trying to tune it, unlike other manufacturers like ASUS who just don't really care.

The 8 + is still a turd, the real deal is around the corner in november, where we get the true next gen, which is the 8 gen2. The Rog6s pro will be vastly superior in terms of efficiency and performance, lets hope until then that they get their shit together, I mean seriously, when your Rog6 loses to an Iphone 13 pro non max in speaker test vs a supposed flagship gaming phone then you clearly are doing something wrong here.

• ktwktw Level 2

Well, are you just calling everyone who doesn't think in your way misinformation and disagrees with everything? Others can judge 🤣

Note that I never said 8+ Gen 1 is a good chip; it's still bad, but it's relatively better than 8 Gen 1. I only said that 8+ Gen 1 is improved in comparison to 8 Gen 1. I mean, it's of course more energy efficient than 8 Gen 1 'cause 8 Gen 1 is just a total crap.

And of course, we can expect 8 Gen 2 to be the real deal, that part I agree with you. You can continue believing in what you want, and I'll go with what everyone else has seen 🙃

• We can all agree that the switch from Samsung fab to TSMC fab has greatly improved 8 Gen's P/w, now that about 5 or 6 models running on 8+ Gen 1 have been released and tested in reviews. If you disagree with this, I'll wonder if you have ever read or watched any reviews on those devices before you disagree. lol

I simply called you out on your misinformation claiming its "greatly improved". I debunked your statement with facts and factually explained to you why your source is extremely bad to begin with. If you say something that is true, people will listen, if you claim nonsense like the 8+ is a greatly improved version of the regular 8 gen1, then I will call you out on it. It's that simple. You can go defensive about as much as you like, but the truth is, your claim was dumb and your source you show here is pure misinformation and misleading.

I think we can both agree on the following:

• Anything beyond the SD 870 is a steaming pile of garbage, more performance is not worth having a heater of a phone with piss poor battery life.
    • We are both excited to see the real next gen qualcomm SoC that will hopefully be extremely efficient and make phone manufactuers being able to free the cooling space for some neat things like bigger battery or wireless charging.

Seeing how a SD845 can handle genshin on high settings quite well, should be a massive wakeup call to people who purchase a new phone every year for "better gaming performance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXMwxPdPM4

• ktwktw Level 2

I see, so the word "greatly" triggered you. ok lol. My apology for using that exaggeration then.

Anything beyond the SD 870 is a steaming pile of garbage, more performance is not worth having a heater of a phone with piss poor battery life.

We are both excited to see the real next gen qualcomm SoC that will hopefully be extremely efficient and make phone manufactuers being able to free the cooling space for some neat things like bigger battery or wireless charging.

Yup. These I totally agree 👍️