GPS locks only NAVSTAR constellation satellites

I bought a new Zenfone 7 Pro smartphone. GPS Status & Toolbox by EclipSim reports that only 5/6 of 64 satellites locks when full sky is available. When a lesser portion of sky is available, performance are even worse.

Only GPS NAVSTAR satellites locks. Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, satellites do not lock in any condition. However, GPS Status & Toolbox reports good signal strength also for not locking satellites.

My Zenfone 7 Pro has been replaced by a new one by the shop due to this issue but also the new one shows the same issue.

Please, help.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hi, I did not know this app and tried it (GPS Status & Toolbox by EclipSim) and indoor in my house I get 27/59 sats on my Zenfone 7 Pro.

According to the help of the app (https://mobiwia.com/gpsstatus/#status-screen), it locks to NAVSTAR, Glonass, Beidou and Galileo, most are lit in green.

How do they appear on your phone ?

Have you tried the "A-GPS" option in the menu ? Looks like it can download GPS data to acquire them more quickly.

I don't know how to help but I tried the app by curiosity and noticed it seems to work well on my phone, so it's not an issue with the phone model but either a hardware issue (but on two different phones ?) or software as I'm Android 11 beta.

• Hi,

Thank you for your kind reply. I am still on Android 10 latest version. Only NAVSTAR satellites are lit in green on my device. I tried several time to cold start GPS antenna and to reload almanac data with the A-GPS reload option but phone shows always the same issue. I scarcely believe in a hardware issue on two different new unboxed phones, too. It could be a software issue. Could you downgrade your phone from Android 11 beta to Android 10 if you would like to do so or joining the beta program inibhits you from restoring the phone to the stable version? Does Google pay Is still not working in Android 11 beta? I ask you because I am interested to try this option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Camillo

• Hi,

Sorry I don't plan to downgrade as it would wipe my phone and I would have to set everything up again.

The best is to see if someone else has the issue on Android 10 and is willing to upgrade to the 11 beta and test again.

I don't use Google Pay but it seems that it does not work yet because of the beta (it won't let me add a card, saying my phone is rooted or modified, because of beta I guess).

• Thank you so much for your help!

I only would like to know if the phone could be downgraded back to Android 10 after performing the beta testing of Android 11. Your answer is pretty clear in that sense: it could be done if you admit to factory reset the device.

I hope there is someone that has Android 10 installed who could test his GPS antenna by means of GPS Status & Tools and report his/her results to compare.

Thank in advance.

• Before upgrading to Android 11 to then go back to Android 10, maybe wait a bit, they said there was a process to do so, I don't know if it's available yet.

As we are on the weekend I guess ASUS mods will come in this thread only on Monday, some may have two phones on both versions so they would be able to check.

• trophiegayggtrophiegaygg Level 1
    edited November 7

Hello. I am big gamer. A hungry gamer. I am going to buy 7 series. I wonder Will I be able to play games like clash of clans

• Hello. This is off topic. However, definitely yes Zenfone 7 and Zenfone 7 Pro display cutting edge performance in games. If your focus is primarily games, I would suggest you to consider Asus ROG phones.

• Mine on A11 immediately locked to 32 out of 72 on my balcony. I can't say why you have two units that behave the same way. Have you tried more apps. Do you have another phone which your can test on simultaneously?

• Hi Anders,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried almost all app on Android Play Store. The issue is shown in NMEA logs so it is independent from the specific app used.

I tested the GPS antenna of my Asus ZenFone 5z simultaneously in the same place and it works flawlessly.

I suppose the problem is tied to Android 10. It is difficult to imagine that two just unboxed new devices behave exactly in the same way.

Could you perform the same test on a ZenFone 7 Pro with Android 10 firmware installed?

Is there a way to let me test GPS antenna with Android 11? I cannot join to the beta testing program.

Best regards!

• Both of my devices have A11. Just tried ROG 2 with A10 and it works.

I can send you a PM and see if I can get you into the beta

• Thanks indeed!

I will answer your PM.

Only a last question. I use my phone to pay with Google Pay and I know that it is not possible with A11 beta. Will I be able to revert my ZenFone 7 Pro to A10 after the test to re-enable Google Pay payments?

Regards,

Camillo

• Zenfone 7 pro. A10, sunny day 7 out of 59.(sometimes 8 or 9 out of 60). I think it is an Android 10 issue. Though yesterday I used a lot the phone for navigation and it worked without any issues.

Regards.

• Thank you for your reply. You confirmed my hypothesis.

Also my phone works correctly for navigation when it can see full sky. The issue can cause inaccuracies when full sky is not available: in that case, locking several GPS constellations improves precision.

It seems from previous answers that Android 11 beta fixes the issue.

• I enrolled the beta program. I confirm that the beta firmware based on Android 11 fix the GPS issue.

• cvonvcvonv Level 1

A10 ZenFone 7 Pro here and can confirm only 6-8/64 locking on the circular discs. No lock in any of the other satellites. This is indoor. I will try outdoor later today. But yeah looks like it only locks on the circular discs on A10. How did you know they're NAVSTAR satellites btw? Sorry I'm a noob with GPS satellites.

• Hi, if you refer to GPS Status & Toolbox, here I attached a symbols' explanation from user guide:

The sky grid (G) shows the GPS satellites above you as the receiver in the phone detects them. GPS (NAVSTAR) satellites (with IDs 1-32) are represented by disks. GLONASS satellites (with IDs r1-r25) are shown as rectangles, BEIDOU satellites (with IDs c1-c33) are shown as crosses (x) while GALILEO sats (with IDs e1-e35) are displayed as plus (+) signs. The size of the symbol depends on the signal strength received from that satellite. The color shows what data is available for that satellite and how it is currently used by the phone.