Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

Mattias_ASUS
Crimis

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/230236#Comment_230236

That's a property of all (secure) hardware fingerprint readers, you need a clean and dry finger to get a proper reading. It's not an exclusive Pixel 5 issue.

But you are right, sometimes devices of big smartphone manufacturers are just full of problems. Especially when they are launched.

View post
They are looking into the issue, the last time they checked it was yesterday, so it is very much active.

HomerSp
Star III
Mattias_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/230241#Comment_230241

They are looking into the issue, the last time they checked it was yesterday, so it is very much active.

View post
Thanks for the update - hopefully it will be possible to fix this in an upcoming OTA!

pietje
Star III
Did a walk with mine and someone elses zenphone 9 they both had the same behaviour using the healthmate app. Im hoping for a quick ota update

Druinn
Star I
Hoping for an update too, it's really necessary to use GPS for me and not being able to get a
proper location is very annoying. The ZF9 is my dream smartphone so giving up will be heartbreaking.
According to GPS test the sensitivity is awesome (considering it was tested near the window in the city centre with reflections around), so I hope it's software not hardware trouble.

maks4042
Star I
Same thing with inaccurate gps positioning/loosing position in open areas. Also if gps is even working the tracks can be very inaccurate by lenght and speed (like 10 km/h difference at 80 km/h speed).
Did few times this thing
 "Force full GNSS = On"
"Wifi scanning = Off"
"Bluetooth scanning = Off"
with google maps cache clearing and A-GPS "clear and update", airplane mode on/off, all android/google geopositioning options checking and rechecking. So one day (or one time per day) its working correctly, another time its unusable at all.
screenshot-20221021-133058-gps-test.png