This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock Bootloader on Zenfone 9 and Zenfone 10

totmakina
Star III

 Because the bootloader could not be unlocked on Zenfone 9, I decided to write to Asus Support to be told when it would be possible to unlock the bootloader on Z9 and Z10. The response I received was that it would no longer be possible to unlock the boot on any of these phones. Upon receiving this news I decided not to buy the Z10. I think it is a big mistake that Asus has decided that the boot cannot be unlocked. I don't know if they will change their mind, but there will be many of us who decide NOT to buy it.

IMG_20230804_201848_727.jpg

53 REPLIES 53

Hello friend, that's why this Post was written. Let's hope it gets to Asus and they finish making up their minds and they re-enable the unlock.

Thanks for tour letter

Verknaller
Star I

My Zenfone 10 is shipping tomorrow, ordered July 27th.
Today I find out that I will not be able to unlock the bootloader.
The phone will remain in the box when I receive it.

Hopefully through an official channel ASUS will confirm that the ability to unlock the bootloader of the Zenfone 10 will come.

If not, the phone will be returned before the 14-day window and I will take my money back from Asus. They're not getting my money if I cannot use the device however want.

I will contact support myself too although I have seen a support reply from my region (Belgium/The Netherlands) also stating that from HQ they've heard that the tool will no longer be used.

Incredibly dissapointing.

Update: Belgium/The Netherlands Customer support also confirmed to me that unlocking the bootloader is not supported on the Zenfone 9 or 10 and will not be supported.
The phone is currently in transit to me. Giving it 14 days like I mentioned earlier and wait out an official response from Asus. If not, back it goes 🙂 

boodadude
Star I

Just talked to asus customer support. They responded with a negative on bootloader unlocking. Very unfortunate. Will probably be buying an xperia phone if this remains the case.

BeFa
Star I

Today I was very surprised to see an article in my Google news feed about the discontinued unlock tool!!! This is great because potential buyers will be warned before buying the ZF10! I pre-ordered mine believing it is Asus company policy to allow unlocking the bootloader and was very angry when I received the phone and discovered that the tool is not working. For me it is to late to return the phone but I hope other customers will not make the same mistake.

bukowski
Star II

New update: XDA's Mishaal Rahman claims ASUS support was wrong, ASUS not killing bootloader unlocking for its phones

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1688935735716401152?t=8FTUnYuXLpgsFJU6GPznPw&s=19

Now, the question is... do I take my ZF9 off eBay or not lol