cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mic is turned off during calls

TK-421
Star II

Hello,

I am using an Asus Zenfone 9 with Android 13. Every time I talk on the phone, the microphone turns off. It happens more often when I have a jacket with a high collar or similar clothing. This is incredibly frustrating to not be able to use the phone as a phone.

I've read that other people have had the same problem but I haven't seen if or when a solution is in the works. I have thought several times about switching phones because of this. Please fix this bug because the phone is otherwise really great.

9 REPLIES 9

mikeburnsnz
Star III

Welcome to the club! You are now amongst a select group of special people who have a zenfone 9 that doesn't reliably manage calling functions. At this point there is no fix. Manay of us have been through countless updates, including to Android 13 and the problem still persists. I have sent mine back to the retailer. They have been in touch with Asus who claim there is no problem with the phone! Pretty interesting response considering the 10 plus pages of people complaining on the other forum post. Feel free to drop a call log to the moderator but it won't get you anywhere as piles of people have already done that. Also don't bother with a factory reset as that doesn't fix anything either.

I am sorry you have joined us. It isn't a happy club. My recommendation is to send the phone back while it is hopefully still under warranty and go for something else. That's what I am doing. Hopefully Asus actually starts to take this as a credible issue and fixes it, but at this rate I am not holding my breath. The Zenfone 9 appears to be an impressive phone, plagued with major software bugs that have turned off many.

Actually your issue might be slightly different if it is just your cheek brushing the speaker phone button. For us the speaker phone suddenly mutes and no one can hear you, or vice versa. The only fix is a phone restart. Then the problem comes back again.

Thank you for the detailed information concerning this issue. I've read the same things that you describe and I was hoping a fix was in the works by now. I have the same problems with my ZF9. Everything is great about the phone and then this bug (or what ever it is) totaly crashes the experience. I've thought many times to get a new phone. I have never experienced this issue on any phone that I have used before.

TK-421
Star II

Okay. The Google Phone app is updated with a new design resulting in new odd behavior. Instead of turn the mic off during calls the phone is now adding a second call to the existing call. It's got to be the sensor and/or the screen doesn't switch off during calls, or wakes up during call. The screen is active during calls and my face is touching the buttons on the screen. That's obvious. Sometimes the screen switch off during calls. So the sensor in the screen must be affected by this bug. Is there no solution to this issue?

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.