This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ZF9 a valid choice in 2024?

tokidsam
Star I

I am loving the design and battery life and also price in aftermarket of the zf9 but I'm concerned about security updates. Are they actually ongoing, and if so, how long will they continue?

8 REPLIES 8

Akira58
Star III

Bro Asus overal is a bad choice they break your phone on purpose with faulty updates and they don't fix anything so be warned Asus phones are the baddest phones all time DONT BUY if you care about your pocket my advice is one plus or Nubia red magic 9 or 8 pro

I love my  Zf9.  This phone is awesome in so many ways.  Battery life, one handed use in bed or on a packed train, lightning fast fingerprint scanner, balanced stereo speakers, build quality......

The problem is Asus.  This phone is stuck on A14, which it received last month.   No bootloader unlock to move to a custom ROM either.  It has been a year  since it was removed by Asus. (If you wonder where the posts are, Asus removed them) 

In the UK, where i live someone took them to small claims court and got full refund as they removed a feature they made them purchase the device.

tokidsam
Star I

@tokidsam wrote:

I am loving the design and battery life and also price in aftermarket of the zf9 but I'm concerned about security updates. Are they actually ongoing, and if so, how long will they continue?

i got this... https://mobdro.bio/

landsome
Rising Star II

Yep, it's still a great phone - if you can live with limited updates in the future (so far, they've come fairly often and have been mostly reliable). Except for the camera, which is decent but not more than that (there are a few good Gcam mods around, btw), it's a brilliant phone.

I should also add one thing: many people complain about the ZF9 on these forums. I have owned both a ZF8 and a ZF9 and, whatever problems existed early after release, they were solved within a few updates. There might still be minor niggles, but I own and have owned quite a few compact phones of similar size (and smaller), and the 9 is hardly among the worst when it comes to minor software issues. My Xiaomi 13 and now Xiaomi 14 are much more buggy (not to mention hampered by other deliberate limitations). And the older Pixels (4, 5) have remained very, very limited in terms of customization options. The 13 mini has been one of the buggiest of all, especially after iOS 17. Take that into account as well.