Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation causes lag and bugs when switching apps

Shorusai
Star II
  1. Model Name: Zenfone 9
  2. Firmware Version: Android 13 WW_33.0804.2060. 100
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always when switching apps (too) fast.

So I've set my system navigation to navigation bar (the three buttons) because I usually quick switch between apps by double tapping the multi-task button. (and also the gestures feel wonky when trying to go into app overview)

But when I double tap multi-task button too fast it just bugs out, zooms out a second time and gets  stuck in the app overview, often with black previews making it impossible to switch apps by double tapping. 

I've turned off the scale for animation speed since then. It does work more reliable then, but this actively breaks split screen function (apart from making everything look choppy)

It seems to bug out because the animation is getting interrupted but "wants" to finish first before receiving another input. Seems like a UI issue. Never had this on other non-asus phones and they all had animation activated.

Currently I'm living with animation turned off and not being able to use split screen and have a choppy look&feel, just so I can multi-task efficiently...

A fix would be very welcome.

4 REPLIES 4

Mansi_ASUS

Hey @Shorusai,

Are you still facing this issue?

We recently released a new FW version. Can you please install it and lemme know if this issue persists?

@Mansi_ASUS 

Not the original poster, but I just got (and updated) a Zenfone 9 and can confirm the issue persists.

EDIT: Some more information after experimenting. I should have noted, I am using Nova Launcher (not sure if the original poster was). When I try switching to the ASUS launcher, the issue is somewhat resolved: it no longer bugs out, but it still forces me to watch the full animation before switching, which is much longer than the near-instant switch I had on my previous phone (Pixel 2 XL running Android 11 with Nova Launcher).

riverside9088
Star I

Just want to second this issue, it's really annoying.

For myself, I decided to keep animation on 0.5x speed and try to slow down my double tap. It's still way slower than I'd like, but it's at least not as choppy and split screen still works.

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.