cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenphone 8 not connecting to PC for data transfer

JimmySeee
Star II
Hi,
My Zenfone 8 is no longer being recognised by my PC or Laptop. When i plug it in via USB-A to USB-C the phone start charging but then will not initiate a data transfer. There is no prompts that appear on the phone or the laptop and the phone does not appear in the Device manager on my PC or on my Laptop.
I have tried a number of different cables including the original which came with the phone and none seem to work even though they all work with other devices i have (Samsung and HTC phones).
I have triend changing the setting in Developer mode, tried all of the different options for default USB Configuration as well as with the USB Debugging off and on with multiple restarts inbetween. I have triend searching the forums and it seems others have had simialr issues but couldnt find any solutions which worked for me.
Phone is a Zenfone8 on Android12, Security Patch 5th August 2022.
7 REPLIES 7

Mattias_ASUS
Hello!
This seems to be a common Windows issue, have you tried changing the USB Port on the PC?

JimmySeee
Star II
Mattias_ASUS

Hello!

This seems to be a common Windows issue, have you tried changing the USB Port on the PC?

View post
Yes, I have tried 3 different cables in all 3 USB ports on my laptop and 6 ports on my PC. I even tried a USB C to USB C cable on my laptop which does t even charge the Zenfone. Works fine to charge and data transfer the other phones though but I'm aware there is an issue with 3rd part USB C cables. I don't think it's an issues with my PC/Laptop as they work perfectly fine with two other Android phones (all ports and all cables work with the other phones)

cytrus224
Rising Star I
JimmySeee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/232535#Comment_232535

Yes, I have tried 3 different cables in all 3 USB ports on my laptop and 6 ports on my PC. I even tried a USB C to USB C cable on my laptop which does t even charge the Zenfone. Works fine to charge and data transfer the other phones though but I'm aware there is an issue with 3rd part USB C cables. I don't think it's an issues with my PC/Laptop as they work perfectly fine with two other Android phones (all ports and all cables work with the other phones)

View post
I have issues charging with 3rd party chargers. You're not alone having problems with usb-c implementation in ZF8

mattle
Star II
Same here. Just tried it on two different iMacs. My phone can't be discovered by the computer. It only charges. Urgently need to transfer some files.