This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoWIFI / WiFi Calling Support

lizp
Star I

Wondering if anyone with a ZenFone 8 has had a similar experience. Just got one brand new (Android 13, fully up to date, not rooted), and already a little disappointed with the overall support experience even though I like the phone itself. For context, I am in the US and have an international version of the phone. I am using T-Mobile, and I've been getting all kinds of mixed messages on whether or not this phone supports Wi-Fi Calling.

ASUS support was unfortunately outright unhelpful in this regard. The tech I spoke to said "The Asus ZenFone 8 and 9 do not support VoWIFI and there is no way around this". However...

The option is missing from my settings, but if I enter that lengthy dial code that's on several articles on the internet, the option appears. I can enable it, and about 70% of the time the WiFi Calling icon appears, it displays "T-Mobile WiFi Calling" in the status bar, and calls work perfectly fine over WiFi. Of course, if I reboot the phone I have to re-enter the code which is annoying, and sometimes it doesn't work at all if I have no service when I re-enable it. As someone who has little to no cell service at home, or sometimes ends up in places with plenty of WiFi options but no cell service, this is pretty crucial feature for me.

Does anyone else have a similar experience / issue? If it actually is supported on the international version, is there a way to enable it more permanently in this case?  

4 REPLIES 4

AW1
Star I

Really missing WLAN calling. Thought this is a standard functionality - but was surprised it is not mentioned in the user manual. I cannot use the cell service at home so I'd depend on the VoWIFI option.  Looking forward getting info on how to configure it.

OYoung
Star II

I also am not able to use Wi-Fi calling on my Zenfone 8.  I too like the phone but not the lack of Wi-Fi support.  Has anyone contacted TMobile?

OYoung
Star II

Hi:  I have ZF8, purchased 7/2023 in the US and on TMobile, Android 13.  I'm not sure how to check whether it's US or International version.  I bought directly from ASUS.  I've contacted ASUS and they've "promised" they're working to get VoWiFi on this 2 year old "Flagship" phone.  On other boards I've seen mentioned petitioning them to requisition VoWiFi for other carriers/countries. 

OYoung
Star II

Sorry, just noticed you mentioned a code to enable.  Would you mind sharing that?  Is your phone rooted?  I've seen references to rooting and changing all sorts of things, but I'm not willing to root, but if it's possible to try enabling VoWiFi I'm willing to try.  Another option for TMobile users w/ no WiFi service is to use their web client "digits". Best