This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video color space + photo burst

daveantonin
Star III
I'm very disappointed with the video recording. I tried recording 4K/30 fps video standard and HDR. When I analyzed the videos, I found that they have the same parameters:
Color primaries: ITU-R BT.601 (625 lines, 50 Hz)
Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709
Color space: ITU-R BT.601 Range
When I play HDR video on my HDR TV, it is detected as SDR. 

When I record an SDR video with an old Xperia XZ2 compact it has the following parameters:
Color primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709
Color space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
and with HDR enabled:
Color primaries: ITU-R BT.2020
Color transfer function: Hybrid Log-Gamma
Color space: ITU-R BT.2020 Range
HDR video is also correctly detected by the TV and played back in HDR mode with corresponding quality - significantly more dynamic range than the ASUS novelty.

Photo burst
When I take a series of photos with Sony, it is correctly recognized as a series in Google Gallery and I can work with it. When I shoot a series with ASUS all the images are displayed individually in google gallery. Very uncluttered

I like the hardware of the Zenfone 8, but the software is very clunky. I am considering returning the phone. 
4 REPLIES 4

daveantonin
Star III
Can anyone from ASUS comment on the findings above? Are there plans for improvement? Thank you

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
daveantonin

Can anyone from ASUS comment on the findings above? Are there plans for improvement? Thank you

View post
We do not claim that ZF8 supports HDR video such as HDR10. It does however have the ability to capture HDR-like video (video with high dynamic range detail) but not with HDR10 or HLG support

daveantonin
Star III
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/168397#Comment_168397

We do not claim that ZF8 supports HDR video such as HDR10. It does however have the ability to capture HDR-like video (video with high dynamic range detail) but not with HDR10 or HLG support

View post
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that excellent hardware is limited by software in this way. Why is that?
Can the photo display in Burst mode be fixed?

Lawrence35
Star I
I prefer to use a smartphone for photos using a tripod, since usually I or someone will push or see how the hands shake a little. I liked SwitchPod - this is a minimalist portable tripod that is compatible and works with almost any camera. You can connect it to your mobile phone. I am very like gorillapod and in today's market these products are very accessible and quality made. It was this option that approached me. It is very convenient to use.