This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no VoLTE when roaming in the USA

steve02
Rising Star I

Please, how is it possible that i can use VoLTE with my home carrier in Austria but not when i'm roaming in the USA? T-Mobile USA and AT&T have the Zenfone 8 on their positive list, with T-Mobile i even checked with their IMEI compatibility check and it passed!

With my home carrier i need to use the *#*#... -code to enable the 4G-calling option but it works at least since last year. In the USA i still see the option in the settings but it doesn't change anything. Still no VoLTE possible!!

So after almost two years with this phone and hoping for an update that fixes this problem i still can't use regular phone calls when i'm roaming in the USA!

Are you at ASUS working on that? Do you have any other solution that throwing the phone in the trash?

Sorry but it's a horrible situation. Please and thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

steve02
Rising Star I

If anybody is interested: I don't know why my provider and also ASUS didn't suggest this easy solution but changing the SIM card solved the problem!! My SIM card was over 10 years old but I never had a problem. How should I know that VoLTE needs a new SIM card. Also the technicians at my provider couldn't help me after several longer talks.

Anyway, maybe this helps other users with the same problem!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

igiveanswers
Star II

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble using VoLTE with your Zenfone 8 while roaming in the USA. It's possible that there may be a compatibility issue between your phone and the network you are trying to use in the USA. While T-Mobile USA and AT&T may have the Zenfone 8 on their positive list, it's possible that they may have specific requirements or settings that need to be configured on the phone in order for VoLTE to work properly.

You may want to contact your home carrier and the network provider you are trying to use in the USA to inquire about their specific requirements for using VoLTE. They may be able to provide you with some troubleshooting steps or configuration settings to help you get VoLTE working.

Additionally, you may want to try updating your phone to the latest software version to see if that helps resolve the issue. To check for updates, go to Settings > System > System update and check for any available updates.

If none of these steps help, it's possible that there may be a hardware issue with your phone that is preventing VoLTE from working properly. In this case, you may want to contact ASUS customer support to see if they can provide any further assistance or if the phone needs to be repaired or replaced.

steve02
Rising Star I

Thank you for your detailed answer! I contacted my home carrier a few times already. They said that on their side everything for VoLTE is activated and that they don't offer specific support for my phone because they don't sell the zenphone. The strange thing is that VoLTE works on my home carrier in Austria but only if i put this *#*#3642623344#*#* code in the dialer. After that i can see the 4G-calling option in the settings and it works but i have to do this after every reboot. For me this looks more like a software issue on my phone, right? Do you know what's the reason for this behavior?

Next week when i visit the USA again i will try to talk to one of the providers but i'm not sure if they wanna help me because i don't have a contract with them.

Phone software is always up to date.

Is there a possibility that i need to exchange my sim card? it's over 10 years old.

If nothing helps i will contact the ASUS support to repair/exchange my phone but i hope i won't need to do that because i'm not sure if a new model would change anything. But I will try anything to disolve this problem.

Thank you in advance again!

steve02
Rising Star I

I'm in Italy now and also here no VoLTE although the setting is turned on! In my opinion it's a software issue on the phone's software or a setting issue on my home carrier 3_AT. Because why do i need to use this *#*#...-code to even see the settings? And turning it on only works in Austria.

Please ASUS, have a deeper look in this issue! The calling quality when roaming is really bad or as for the USA regular phone calls don't work at all!

steve02
Rising Star I

If anybody is interested: I don't know why my provider and also ASUS didn't suggest this easy solution but changing the SIM card solved the problem!! My SIM card was over 10 years old but I never had a problem. How should I know that VoLTE needs a new SIM card. Also the technicians at my provider couldn't help me after several longer talks.

Anyway, maybe this helps other users with the same problem!