This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio when playing video in full screen

Newbie2
Star II
Hi, recently purchased ZenPhone 8 in India ("8Z"). When watching videos via any app (tested with YouTube, Netflix, Gallery), video and audio are both audible and play fine if the video is not played in fullscreen mode.
In fullscreen for all apps, video plays but audio gets muted. I cannot figure out how to unmute audio. Behaviour is same whether using phone speaker or Bluetooth headset.
This was the out-of-the-box behaviour with Android 11. Recent OTA update to Android 12 was installed successfully, but this issue persists - basically video cannot be enjoyed in fullscreen.
Video in non-fullscreen, normal audio:
Same video in fullscreen, audio controls have mute/disabled logo, and no audio is output:
Phone software:

Any help appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sahil_ms
Star III
Newbie2

Hi, recently purchased ZenPhone 8 in India ("8Z"). When watching videos via any app (tested with YouTube, Netflix, Gallery), video and audio are both audible and play fine if the video is not played in fullscreen mode.

In fullscreen for all apps, video plays but audio gets muted. I cannot figure out how to unmute audio. Behaviour is same whether using phone speaker or Bluetooth headset.

This was the out-of-the-box behaviour with Android 11. Recent OTA update to Android 12 was installed successfully, but this issue persists - basically video cannot be enjoyed in fullscreen.

normal.jpg

Same video in fullscreen, audio controls have mute/disabled logo, and no audio is output:

fullscreen.jpg

Phone software:

software.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Make sure immersive mode is turned off.
screenshot-20220319-174645105.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sahil_ms
Star III
Newbie2

normal.jpg

fullscreen.jpg

Phone software:

software.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Make sure immersive mode is turned off.
screenshot-20220319-174645105.png

Newbie2
Star II
Thanks, that did it!
Wish there were explanatory notes alongside the options so you don't need to guess what exactly they do. Why would you even want audio muted when in full screen...?
Even Asus chat support were stumped when I contacted them... appreciate your assistance.

sahil_ms
Star III
Newbie2

Thanks, that did it!

Wish there were explanatory notes alongside the options so you don't need to guess what exactly they do. Why would you even want audio muted when in full screen...?

Even Asus chat support were stumped when I contacted them... appreciate your assistance.

View post
Asus didn't spend enough time beta testing, otherwise this wouldn't be the case, or they lack good developers. Anyone can notice most of the bugs on the first day itself. Not entirely sure if it was enabled by default or I did it manually, but took me a lot of toggling to figure out the cause of this issues. There are other issues too, not deal breaker but such things shouldn't happen in a flagship phone.

And how is your selfie cam experience? To me it's even worse than a ₹10k phone.