This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus User + Accidentally Pressed Sim Card Ejector Tool into Mic!

JosephOfRohan
Star II
Hey everyone,
Just became the proud new owner of a Zenfone 8. I used to be a huge OnePlus fan, but for various reasons have decided not to support them at the moment. In looking for great, customizable hardware from a company that is not directly tied to the CCP, I decided on this mini-monster and bought shortly after it became available in the US.
Well, I just unboxed the phone last night and did a total n00b move: I accidentally pressed my SIM Card ejector tool into the bottom mic next to the SIM tray. I pressed into it until I realized nothing was happening, then discovered the error of my ways. Pic for reference:
pxl-20210713-150737017-portrait-2.jpg
Anyway, I spoke with ASUS Customer Support and unfortunately they weren't of much help. So I called a local cell phone repair shop and they told me it's probably fine, and now, I'm reaching out here in hopes someone with knowledge on this particular handset can shed some light on two key questions:
1) Would this have penetrated any waterproofing?
2) Is it possible I damaged the mic itself?
Thanks in advance! Besides this obvious mistake and the somewhat lacking customer service from ASUS, I'm really happy to be in the Zenfone community. These are great devices!
6 REPLIES 6

laci_kara
Rising Star I
Condenser mics used in phones usually have a solid front, so I would not worry. Also You can test the mic with Spectroid app.

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
Try typing .12345+= into the included calculator app, in there, you will be able to test out each individual microphone so you will be able to see if it is damaged. Even though I think it will not be damaged

JosephOfRohan
Star II
Thanks laci.kara and Adaoh, it does seem to be working fine. I'm now mostly hoping I didn't affect any water resistance in that area! (Not that I'm planning on diving with it. LOL)

kikoly
Hall of Fame II
Hello,
After confirmation, the ZenFone 8 mechanism designed the microphone ventilation channel to be an L-shaped pipe.
If the eject pin is accidentally inserted into the microphone hole, you will only find that the SIM card slot cannot be ejected, and it will not damage the waterproof mechanism or affect the radio function.
screenshot-20210714-122708548-1.jpg

亞里斯

今天中午zf8送到高雄皇家,要檢測發燙的問題,櫃檯收件小姐要取出sim卡的時候,針孔插錯了針孔插錯了…針孔插錯了…我傻眼老闆…我在asus台南北門專賣店購買的時候,那位服務的先生再三提醒我,插錯孔會戳破防水層,收音麥克風也可能損傷,現在收件小姐做出這樣的事,我要怎麼確認防水層跟收音麥克風有沒有損傷?如果到時候取件告訴我沒損傷,我要怎麼相信?又或者真有損傷,結果用維修的方式處理,再告訴我沒壞,我能怎麼辦?

Asus皇家櫃檯收件小姐ZenFone 8 sim卡針孔插錯了