Solved! Go to Solution.
Unfortunately, I would not recommend this phone as of now. Maybe once they start doing discounts and only given that you buy it locally and will have a proper warranty (there were people on this board who bought it from stores like Aliexpress and Asus is refusing to service them).
This is from the top of my head, so it's likely I'm missing something. Also the previous phone I had was OnePlus 3, which I had for 5 years, so I might not know everything what's happening in Android world. I had checked other phones, watched and read reviews and what now, but I have not daily driven anything else for that time.
These are my complaints, that I would think are completely personal and others might not find it annoying:
- Ergonomics. I like that the phone is small and does not tear my pockets apart, but it just does not sit in the hand nicely for me. Also, if you are in dry weather, have dry hands it becomes very slippery.
- Bezels are quite thick and side, top and bottom bezels are of different thickness.
- The silver ring around selfie camera. No idea why that was needed, but it catches reflections and as my previous phone had notification LED in exactly that place, it confuses me that I got a notification.
- Headphone jack at the top is very uncomfortable.
Other things that I did not like:
- Battery life is just ok. I can get through one day without a problem, but it is something like 1.3-1.4 day battery phone for me. And we all know that 0.3-0.4 is useless as you have to charge for new day, since it won't make next one. I'm saying this as a bad thing mostly comparing to my old OnePlus 3. The phone was famous for it's poor battery, but as a light user I could easily get 2.5 days with it once it was brand new. I'm not sure Zenfone 8 will be able to last me throughout the day in a couple years.
- Camera is meh. You will need GCam as it makes day and night difference, so it kind of fixes the problem, but it's not fixed by Asus themselves. Also, wide angle is pretty useless unless you are shooting outside on a sunny day.
- There are some funky stuff going on with background apps killing. Be prepared that you will only get notifications for some apps once you unlock your phone.
- Spotify issues. I think this is related to previous point. It constantly stops after a song, so you have to take your phone out of the pocket, unlock the screen and it starts playing again. If you are listening to Spotify, get a phone call, it does not restart playing Spotify after call ends, you have to take phone out and unlock the screen. Headset button controls (play/pause) have a huge delay, anything from one to 10 seconds, and this is not only for Spotify. If you are pressing play/pause with screen on, it works perfect. I reported this on this board but it was never addressed.
- Dynamic mode is pretty bad, most of the time it seems to be at 60hz. No wonder, I found my batter life to be better with it.
- Fingerprint sensor is terribly bad and slow. When I got the phone I had some skin eczema problems and my success rate was something like 30 percent at best. Now it's probably something like 50 percent. I have tried rescanning, adding same finger multiple times but still it's not accurate.
What I found the worst about it, is the support, especially ramdump issue and them being quiet about it. Also, as I wrote in my other comments, I don't get the purpose of this is board and why it's linked in Support menu. Like, with one of the previous updates they broke the feature where if you have headset connected via headphone jack and get a call, the ringtone does not play through the headphone, only phone speaker. Once I reported it, a support person asked me to try restarting the phone. I did so and came back to say that it did not help and I was ignored ever since, sent like 2 or 3 follow ups, but no response. After some even earlier update, the function to adjust brightness in night mode was removed, I reported it but never got a response. Don't know, maybe it was intentional, but this rendered night mode pretty useless as photos would come out way overexposed (thank god for GCam once again).
I just feels that Asus does not really care about this phone and people who bought it. Like the phone call quality issue. Upon release it did not have HD Voice and VoLTE was available in only few operators. The phone call quality was so atrociously terrible that I almost returned the phone (should have done it tbh), but Asus promised they were working on adding VoLTE. My point is, that someone had to test it and sign off on it and I just cannot wrap my mind around how someone could have thought that it is okay to release the phone with such terrible call quality. It just seems that they don't care about it.
koallawindows10Welp it died now in rma
I am happy with this phone, but some drawbacks overheating (like any other 888) poot battery life that will be better with android 12 but the phone is really dopee