cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of hardware?

Evolution101
Star III
Hi,

My Zenfone 8 that I purchased in may last year broke due to dropping it on the ground.
Consequently I bought a new one since I'm very pleased with this model, specifically due to it's absence of PWM. However I noted something peculiar with the new one I got which disturbs me.
Firstly it's made in Indonesia which if I recall correctly my original one wasn't . Secondly the backside of the phone now has a different text. Instead of "Asus Zenfone" it now just says "mobile phone designed by ASUS". What happened here?
Additionally I now suspect more changes have been made on this very same model. For example I experience the screen to be brighter than my original one was when it was new. Also the build quality and screen touch responsivness feels different (feels slightly ticker). Anyone? Is this normal? Do you know why the production seems to have changed? Are there still batches of the original stock to be found in stores? Would also be interesting if a new PWM test is made with what appears to be the new production line.
13 REPLIES 13

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
I don't think I have ever seen people complaining about this. Maybe you got a fake unit (or more likely a store display unit), even though that is unlikely. If you could take pictures that would be interesting to have. If you have any doubts you should go to the store you purchased it from in case they gave you an earlier display unit for example

Evolution101
Star III
Hi,
Well, since I was very pleased with the last one and I'm sensitive to pwm flickering I want to make sure that this new one isn't differing in that aspect. See the attached picture of the old and new one.
I don't think it's an older model. It seems to be manufactured in november so not likely to be an older model or similar. Maybe they have changed their production due to the faulty motherboards?
PhaGWiZ

I don't think I have ever seen people complaining about this. Maybe you got a fake unit (or more likely a store display unit), even though that is unlikely. If you could take pictures that would be interesting to have. If you have any doubts you should go to the store you purchased it from in case they gave you an earlier display unit for example

View post

Evolution101
Star III
Also, I just weighed it and the new one weighs 3 grams more than the old one. This is too much to not be remarkable.

dron39
Rising Star II
How about to show us MFD which is on the box?
By the way I think it's better to cover up your s/n and IMEI numbers. Or at least partially. 🙂
I heard that there are some units made after 07.2021, but never seen any of them.