cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug when putting speaker on during calls

Globus
Star I
Hello everyone,

I have a weird specific bug with my Zenfone 8 and I can't find equivalent reports online. Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. Here it is:

Whenever I'm on a call, everyone hear me fine. However, as soon as I put the call on speaker, people only hear my voice and every other voice around me is muted! It also happens with video calls, for example if I try to show my kid on video, people can hear my voice but my kid's voice is muted.

I don't know if this is Android-related or phone related, I am not very knowledgeable on phones. Anyone has an idea? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
I've compared caller experience between speakerphone and normal call and I'm not sure but it seems to me that the microphone logic might be reversed compared to what we might expect:
in a normal call there didn't seem to be much background filtering (one person could hear the wind for example) but yet in speakerphone there seems to be more background filtering than is necessary especially for when there is more than one speaker. I don't know if this is simply because of which microphone is in use. But it seems like opposite to what it should be.

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
I notice that previous threads on this subject have been locked. Can an ASUS mod update us on whether there was a solution or workaround? There's been no acknowledgement or 'we're working on a fix' as far as I can see.

keren_ASUS
Hello everyone,
There's a feature called speaker mode with AI noise reduction technology that cuts "non-human voice". This feature is different from handheld mode noise reduction that calculates from a distance.
We believe that external sounds like the child or female may sound like a "toy sound" and the system treats this as noise and cuts off the sound. We will try to do more verification and study enhancements.
We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and your valuable advice will be included in future design and optimization considerations. Thank you!

tor_bjornebole2
Star II
keren_ASUS

Hello everyone,

There's a feature called speaker mode with AI noise reduction technology that cuts "non-human voice". This feature is different from handheld mode noise reduction that calculates from a distance.

We believe that external sounds like the child or female may sound like a "toy sound" and the system treats this as noise and cuts off the sound. We will try to do more verification and study enhancements.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and your valuable advice will be included in future design and optimization considerations. Thank you!

View post
A temporary workaround would be to just let us turn off this AI noise cancelling altogether. I'd rather live with some background noise if that can make the speaker mode usable for females and kids again.

dron39
Rising Star II
keren_ASUS

Hello everyone,

View post
Is this software-related bug? I have no clue but my mic started to be OK on speaker mode in calls only after main board replaced. Before that person always hears himself with robotic voice and almost didn't hear me.