kinguntas23Yeah, I definitely understand. My current phone battery is dying faster but it otherwise fine so I can still use it for a while, but are they planning to fix the issue at a manufacturing level if I wait long enough? Or is this likely to be an ongoing thing and I should just find a different phone to buy entirely?
Alright, Despite having a faulty device, I've been very faithful in the company and ZenUI 6's potential. But given the fact that you transition between 2 countries, I really wouldn't recommend buying the phone with the ongoing manufacturing flaw. I you were settled in one country the situation would be completely different. I would have totally recommend you to go ahead since you could just receive the phone, stress test it in extreme conditions over a week and you could return a faulty device very easily. But you might not be able to get a replacement while moving through countries. Don't get me wrong here, the phone is undoubtedly the best in the segment, just that in your situation, it would be highly tedious and maybe even impossible to get a replacement on time. Even the repair process would be highly painstaking if you travel frequently.